How to pick up a sleepy/scared hedgie? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to pick up a sleepy/scared hedgie?

I got my new hedgehog Oliver a few days ago.

He's an albino, and super cute! ^That's him!
However, after the 1st day I got him he become grumpy and scared of my touch. Odd because the first day I had him he was not scared and easily walked on to my hand if I placed it in front of him.
In the past few days his cage has gotten a little messy, and I need to change the liner. I can not pick him up..or attempt to, without him balling up and huffing at me. I tried bribing with treats...no luck. Keep in mind I have a spacious cage for him with plenty of toys. It's currently 3 in the afternoon, and I would like to clean his cage now so he can play later in the night..Any help??
tofrus likes this.
nova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How to pick up a sleepy/scared hedgie?

Try picking him up with a towel bunched up or fleece bunched up so he doesnt poke through.
clynn1996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn1996
Try picking him up with a towel bunched up or fleece bunched up so he doesnt poke through.
My friend told me to do this, but I'm scared he will just become more scared of my scent if I do this...

Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have really sensitive hands and a grumpy hedgie, and I pick him up with fleece all the time. I have found that he tends to be able to smell me through the fleece, and then he will settle.
tofrus likes this.
artistshrugged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I picked him up with fleece and he totally mellowed out. :3
tofrus likes this.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think on the first day he was too curious about his new surroundings to remember to be defensive. Then he started getting settled and comfortable, so now he's getting defensive since you're bothering him in his comfy new home!

There's nothing wrong with using fleece to pick up a grumpy hedgehog. He'll still get to smell you while in your arms, and get used to you, and the blanket is something comforting, not scary like wearing gloves would be. Better to pick him up with a blanket than not pick him up at all!

Also because I think I see a bit of cilantro on the picture: I know there are some cute videos on youtube of hedgies eating cilantro or other herbs, but I've read here that herbs aren't good to give as treats because it could be too strong and they could overdose on their medicinal effects. I didn't know before, I did try offering some to Quinn when I was trying to find treats she'd be interested in (never found anything else she liked but her kibble and mealworms), but she wasn't interested outside of just annointing with it.
tofrus likes this.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

He is super cute! That's a great picture! I used to pull my long shirt sleeves over my hands and pick Thistle up that way, but I guess I also got her in the spring when I was still wearing hoodies most days.
AngelaH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

And about the cilantro--yeah, I saw some videos showing them eating it! But, Oliver wasn't interested in it. He didn't care to sniff it for more than a few seconds, and he surely didn't want to eat it. Thanks for the comment, though! :3 Really helpful forum
Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I slept with my fleece a few days before I got my hedgehog so my scent would be on it. I was reccommeded this technique a lot.
clynn1996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

How do you pick up a sleeping hedgehog because I want yo clean his little tub that I put him in and I want to put her in her cage with my bare hands any help?
myhedgienameisprincess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in