Itchy, and scared little girl. :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maddieliz

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Itchy, and scared little girl. :(

Hi! I'm a new hedgie owner, I've done all the research I've can but my breeder hasn't replied yet and I'm getting sad watching my hedgie so itchy, and scared.

I just adopted her 4 days ago, and she's been doing amazing adjusting up until today. I woke her up after I got home from work around 1:30 PM and she was extremely scared, I sat with her for a half hour letting her smell my fingers, as the past couple of days she's caught onto my scent and calms down after she smells me, but she has barely done that today. She calms down a little, but quills still stick up and I'm unable to pet her or pick her up without her jumping and hissing. I decided to let her sleep for a little while and try again later, I picked up her snuggle sack I sewed her and she was nervous for a bit, then relaxed and that's when I noticed her bright pink skin. She started itching a lot, on each back foot, all over her body and back on her quills, especially the sides of her fur. She's noticeably pink and very nervous when I try to pick her up.

My breeder recommended Carefresh bedding, and I use the natural white, she's had no problems with it the past couple days until today. I'm washing some fleece to put down in her 110 L plastic bin I use as her cage instead of the carefresh, hoping that works.

I'm not sure if she's quilling, it's mites, or she has dry skin. I just gave her a bath the other day and I she's somewhere between 6-8 weeks old. I'm still waiting to hear back from the breeder.
maddieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Switching to fleece is a good start, to rule out the Carefresh. It doesn't sound like just dry skin - my bet is on mites, honestly, but switching to fleece temporarily is still a good idea. I would also go ahead & make a vet appointment as well.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Switching to fleece is a good start, to rule out the Carefresh. It doesn't sound like just dry skin - my bet is on mites, honestly, but switching to fleece temporarily is still a good idea. I would also go ahead & make a vet appointment as well.
I'm thinking of the vet as well, I just layed down fleece in her bed, washed the whole thing and everything's clean. Only problem is, I live in New Jersey, I just got this little girl, and my breeder failed to give me my temporary permit for exotic animals. I contacted her a few hours ago about this and she hasn't answered yet. I'm afraid she'll get taken from me if I don't have my permit to have her.

In order to get a permit to legally have her, I need the temporary one from my breeder which I never received :/

Also I was holding her for a second wrapped in fleece and she started freaking out, jumping forward to my hand and rubbing against it, then running around the fleece. She's never done this in the 4 days I've had her.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just gave her a bath to rid of all the possible pieces of bedding from the Carefresh, and her fur on the one side close to her quills is sparse and her skin is bright pink. She's getting a little better with me petting her and such but she still gets frightened and itching is still there just not as bad. I just set a vet appointment for Monday, but do you think there will be a problem if I don't have a temporary permit on me to have her?
Old 11-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Aha! I just found five white quills on her fleece blanket. That's why she's been running around crazy and being so nervous. Aw poor thing, I wish I had her longer before this started happening now she'll be in pain for a while. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would schedule a vet appointment anyway - it's unlikely the vet will report you when their goal is to help the animal. You can't get her help if you're afraid to call them or if she gets taken away from you. If they ask about it & you still haven't gotten a hold of the breeder yet, you can explain the situation to them & I would think they'd understand.

I would still keep an eye on her, just in case - it still sounds a bit more like mites to me than quilling from your description of her behavior, but obviously it's hard to tell when I can't see her or anything.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just scheduled an appointment for tomorrow afternoon for a well visit. Definitely going to ask if this behavior is quilling and she's not losing her quills from mites or anything. She's probably lost 20 quills from today and yesterday.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Also, you could check if the quills that fell out were natural or not as a way to help distinguish

Tags
baby, irritated skin, itching, itchy, red skin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in