Washing hedgehog question. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By shinydistraction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Washing hedgehog question.

Hi ! Great to meet you all.

Well my new little guy has moved in well for now. When leaving the breeder they did mention that he was starting to quill so to pay attention, iv read a lot up on it but seem to skimmed over it as i cannot find info on what to do about washing during quilling.

Do i have any special rules? do i just use safe soup (breeder gave me that aveeno stuff for babies) and a tooth brush and go softly ? or do i let him go through a cycle before washing him. Secondly when moving i read you should try to wash your hedgehog to assimilate better to the new environment? or should i do it later?

Well i cannot wait to see what you guys got to say !
Thank you in advance !
Skinnyjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wash as you normally would. Quilling is just his quills coming out and new ones coming it. If a snake was shedding, would you give him a bath different? (If they needed baths....)

There are things you can do about making his skin softer so the quills are easier to come out. https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...-quilling.html

I wait to was him. What if you got randomly picked up and then left your environment, into a new one, then assuming you picked him up during the day, not able to sleep, then a random pit of water. Yeah. I'd just want to sleep.
I gave mine a bath after around 2-3 weeks. Not too early, but he needed one.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You don't need to bathe him unless he needs it, really. It won't make much difference for him settling in, other than the fact that most hedgehogs find baths to be really distressing, but will often be more cuddly afterwards once they've escaped the dreaded water. So kind of a toss up there.

However, for quilling, it IS sometimes helpful to give them a bath, not with soap, but with plain uncooked oatmeal squished around in the water. No scrubbing or poking at the quills or anything, just let them soak in the warm water. The oatmeal & warmth can help soothe their skin while it's sore from quilling. Doesn't help all hedgies, but can make some seem more comfortable.

Other things about quilling - try not to touch his back or skin much, especially if he's huffy. His skin is quite sore with needles trying to come through it, so he may be upset at the whole world right now. Still try to have him out for at least half hour a night as usual though, he still needs bonding time anyway. Just don't expect too much from him while he's getting through this rough stage. It's really more like human babies teething than it is like a snake shedding, due to the soreness/pain.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
However, for quilling, it IS sometimes helpful to give them a bath, not with soap, but with plain uncooked oatmeal squished around in the water. No scrubbing or poking at the quills or anything, just let them soak in the warm water. The oatmeal & warmth can help soothe their skin while it's sore from quilling. Doesn't help all hedgies, but can make some seem more comfortable.
So, I still cannot get my head wrapped about the oatmeal thing, however. People tried explaining to me "just the way you would a human baby"... I have no information for babies as I'm afraid of them.. so.. Doesn't help. But as I hear it's just regular oatmeal you would buy for food. But what's the process in giving them a bath in it. Grab some oatmeal, put water in it, let them bathe? as you said uncooked.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

You would put the oatmeal in a sock, or wrap it in rag to keep it from getting everywhere and swirl it around in the water until it gets cloudy. Then use the cloudy oatmeal water for bathing.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks

Tags
baby, quilling, washing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in