New Hedgie.. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By antonimay
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2017, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Hedgie..

Hi everyone!
Just looking for a bit of advice for a new hedgehog. I went into a pet store over the weekend so find there was a male hedgehog in his cage with nothing but his water bowl and food, and wooden shavings..?
I couldn?t leave him there so I have obvioisly took him home. He is definitely overweight as he can barely roll into a ball, and his belly practically touches the floor when he walks. He doesn?t seem to know how to use a wheel, and he?s not eaten much or pooped since I?ve gotten him. Any advice on how I can get him to eat more?! Is his lack of poop because he?s not eaten/stress of moving?

Thank you in advance!
antonimay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry I have no advice, I'm new to hedgehogs. But I wanted to say you're awesome for getting him out of that place!
Mrsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Arghhh, my internet lost my original longer reply. I'll try to get everything again!

- What food are you feeding him? Do you know if it's the same as the pet store? Hedgehogs don't do well with sudden food changes, so you want it to be the same for now, even if it's a crappy food. It's definitely important to get him eating more soon, as obese hedgehogs are more at risk for health issues (fatty liver disease) from not eating enough. If you're already feeding the same food, we can go over other issues & ways to try & get him eating more. And yeah, the lack of poop is likely due to not eating much.

- What temperature is his cage? Do you have a heating set up & lighting schedule & can you describe them if so?

- What kind of wheel do you have & what size is it? He may very well not know what to do with a wheel, but there are a lot of other reasons they may not run on one. It may be too small, too wobbly, he may have long nails that are too uncomfortable to walk on the wheel with, or he may not feel comfortable coming out to run on it (temperature/lighting/etc.).

- It'd be a good idea to schedule a vet visit for him in the next couple weeks to get him checked out. If you're having trouble checking/clipping his nails, they can do it while he's under a bit of anesthesia & get them in better shape so you have more time to keep working with him. They can check him out otherwise too & make sure he doesn't have other issues besides the obesity. Pet store hedgies are notorious for having mites and URIs, depending on the pet store & amount of hedgie knowledge they have.

I think that was everything!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply
So his lighting schedule is from 7am to 9pm.. he?s in my room so I?ll generally have a low light on until I go to sleep which is 9.30-10pm. Temperature in my room is around 23C, I have a space heater which I put on when it drops any lower to bring it back up. I have another hog, a female called Luna, who I?ve had for a couple months now (who also came from a pet store.. pregnant! but that?s another story) in the same room (obviously in separate spaces and not spending any time together, I definitely don?t want another accidental baby experience!).
I have two wheels, a space ship wheel and a large normal wheel (sorry I don?t know what brand!)- I?ve tried both with him and he?s just gets off it straight away. To be fair, I don?t think he could climb on the normal running wheel as he?s so chunky! I?ve ordered a CSW (I?m in the UK) so hopefully if I can make this lower and if it?s a little wider on the inside, I may have more luck with him.
The pet shop didn?t give me any food and I?m not sure what he was on. His food bowl was full of meal worms! I just completely forgot to ask as I just wanted to take him out, eek. He?s eating about ten kibbles a night and I?m given him some boiled chicken as he?s eating all of that. I?m definitely going to take him to the vet but wanted ideally to give him a couple of weeks to settle in!
Here is what he was in
Lilysmommy likes this.
antonimay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ah, okay, all of the temp/light stuff sounds good! The temp is on the low end of the usual spectrum, but if they're both doing okay with it, that's fine. I mostly wanted to ask to be sure that there wasn't an issue with one of those contributing to inactivity.

With the wheel situation, I'm not entirely sure that the CSW will help much. I love the wheels & the owner of the business, so my comments here are not meant against him or to lose him business, but to help find what's best for the hedgehog. But the CSW are 11" diameter, so if he's a big boy, he might still have some trouble on it. If you can, I would try measuring the upright wheel you have now. If it's the same size, it might be worth waiting on the order, if you still have a chance to. Since you're in the UK, you have more options than we do in the US and might be able to get him something a little bigger. I can't vouch for the seller, obviously, but an example - https://www.etsy.com/listing/552440345/cyndaqwheel We used to be able to get wheels like those from CSW in the US, but the cake covers used for it were discontinued, unfortunately. But IMO, if you can get the bigger wheel for him still, I would do so.

Yikes, I wonder if the mealworms are all they fed him! If so, that'd definitely explain his weight, poor guy. Can you call them to ask about his food? If not, or if they confirm that they only fed him mealworms, I would look at canned/wet food. He may be more likely to eat that, especially if he's eating all of the cooked chicken. You can switch him off the wet food later down the line, but right now you just want to find something that he'll eat more of (and is balanced).
nikki likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in