Found sore or something on hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Found sore or something on hedgie

So this morning I am going over the hedgie I rescued last night. I don't know how I didn't see this last night, but she has a sore or something on her thigh. It feels thick and it almost looks like it has poop caked on or embedded in it or it's a scab, I'm not really sure. I know they gave her baths because the kids were talking about how she loves baths and will run and get under the trickling water. Anyone see anything like this? I'm thinking either the boy she was housed with was picking on her or maybe mites?

I've got a call in to my vet to schedule an appt. Hopefully I can get in today but having to leave a message to have them call me makes me think it's pretty busy.

And here's her belly. Does this look like a pregnant belly?

If it IS mites, is it safe to treat her while possibly pregnant? My guess is no, but would like to hear from the experts.

Thanks.

Tym4myself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Found sore or something on hedgie

Shame poor little girl! That looks like a nasty scab there! I'm sure the vet will have some good advice on treating the sore.
So glad that she has a good caring home now!
Aurian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

That looks like a sore and scab with poop or something caked in it. It doesn't look mite related. Perhaps give her a bath and see if any of it cleans off.

It seems to depend on who you ask if Revolution is safe during pregnancy. The concern I would have is, if she is pregnant, not treating her means a long time before she can be and she is going to be hugely infested by then. Mites are a risk to babies because they can cause anemia.

Is she scratching or giving any indications that she has mites?

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Last night I noticed from the web cam that as she ran about, she would stop periodically to scratch on that same side for a second, then go on her way. Sparty has never scratched so I don't know if hedgies scratch for a second and then stop or if they are like dogs and scratch scratch scratch. She would not be able to scratch that spot specifically because of where it's located but maybe she was trying to reach it for a second? I didn't see anything moving around on her skin when I tried to look at her this morning but she's a wiggly one and it was hard to get a look for more than a couple of seconds.

Not sure if you can see in the pictures but her nails looked like they had never been clipped. They are so long that the quick is grown way out as well. I managed to clip them down some this morning. I hope the quicks will recede.

I have a vet appt. at 3:40 today so she's getting looked at. Should I try to bathe her first or just wait til the vet sees her?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I contacted the person I got her from and asked if they had noticed itching or them not getting along. She said they hadn't noticed any itching. Then she said: "My husband said he heard them making some loud noises one night but appeared to be fine when he checked on them. "

So, these noises...do they make noises when they mate and/or fight? I have never heard a peep out of Sparty, but I know they can make noise. I was under the impression that they usually only do that when they are hurt or something like that.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think personally I'd try to clean it a little bit before the vet sees it. I don't think it'd hurt anything and it'll need to be cleaned so the vet can look at it properly. It might help the vet visit go a bit quicker and be a little less stressful if it's already cleaned up a little. To me it sounds like the periodic scratching might be her trying to scratch at that spot, especially if it's scabbing and itchy. Good luck at the vet's!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm home from the vet. They said she definitely has an infection going on in her leg. The leg itself is getting red and it's bruised. They decided to give her 7 days of IV Baytril orally once a day. I gave her a dose when I got home which she didn't really enjoy but it didn't seem to traumatize her much. She was squirmy and wiggly and wanting to go go go. I put her in her cage and she practically ran into her igloo and crashed. I'm pretty sure she is worn out from all the excitement.
I have the live streamer set up if anyone wants to peek at her. I've decided to name her Lucy. She is really sweet and so different from Sparty. She NEVER balls up, even with her sore leg. She is super sweet. <3

http://www.justin.tv/tym4myself1#/w/3698178464

Here she is at the vet while we were waiting.
"Hey, what we doin here?? It smells funny!"

Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Poor girl...VERY glad now that she was lucky enough to come to you and get proper care. I hope her leg heals quickly. I absolutely love the name Lucy and it sounds perfect for her. She's definitely a special hedgehog to still be so sweet and loving after having all of this happen so young! That picture is adorable!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh my gosh, she is so VERY cute!

Lol, it's funny how you went from thinking about a hedgie, to one hedgie, and now TWO hedgies! Ah, c'est la vie!

My Blog! http://mytutorlist.blogspot.com
MurE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Poor little darling; thank goodness she is with someone who will get her all cleaned up and healthy again.
Medicine time is never fun with our quilly little buddies. Pliny has usually been tolerant of it in the past, but I still like to wrap him up 'burrito' style in his blanket just to prevent any flailing etc.
Hope her leg heals up soon! She seems like quite a sweetheart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in