Advice for Accidental Pregnancy - How to Care - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By LustExe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice for Accidental Pregnancy - How to Care

Hello all, I'm just looking for advice on how to help my little girl make the best of it. I have done lots of research already. She is about one year.

I didn't intend to have her become pregnant. Long story short, I was out of town for two weeks and my sitters friend had her placed with his male hedgehog thinking mine was a male. Good news is, she's over her UTI, bad news, she's most likely pregnant.

She's currently caged with my new cute baby female I recently bought, and they get along very well, but I know I need to isolate her soon. What I do know, is I have a largest plastic tub, a heat lamp, igloo, cat food feeder, bottle, and shavings, and can't even touch her or the babies for at least 7 days until after birth, or disturb her.

What I would like to know, should I include her wheel in the enclosure? Special foods besides high protein kitten food? When should I separate her from the other female hedgehog? Should I keep her in her current enclosure (a 250 gallon fish tank) and move it to a secluded stress-free area (ideally I would like to not move the tank)? Can I move her into the new enclosure I bought and set up for her already?

Thank you everybody.
LustExe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

First off I wouldn't let that friend watch my hedgehog again, putting two hedgehogs that he thought were both male together was very dangerous. Males usually fight and can injure or kill another hedgehog.

I would put her in the new cage, by herself, now so she has time to adjust to it. You can leave the wheel in until the babies are born. You don't want high protein in the kitten food, you just want to add a bit of kitten food for extra fat.

Once the babies are born you can't disturb or peek at them for two weeks. Only go near the cage to feed and water her once a day. Don't make any changes to the cage or surrounding area except to remove the wheel.

How old is your female?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your advice. I was absolutely livid at him, I never wanted her to risk herself by having babies, thats why I purchased my new one. With the intention not to breed. Needless to say, I'm far more cautious now regarding the future and who is sitting.

She is approximately one year and maybe a month or two. I purchased her at two months in November, 2016. Okay, so food I will keep to the usual Blue Buffalo and mix in some kitten food. I realize not to touch the mother/babies until two weeks now, just making sure the food and water is refilled. Should I provide a heat lamp? I will be storing her in my bedroom corner, which gets cold in the winter, but it's the most isolated place in the house. (about 20ftx15ft) Thankfully I live in Phoenix, so it's still about 95F outside, and about 75F at night. I just don't want to make her uncomfortable and the best for the babies.

I took her to the vet this morning to double check the UTI, it's too early to tell if she's pregnant without stressing her out, but she's eating like a champ. No more UTI! So that was a fabulous sign. (she's super social, so vet visits don't really bother her, as long as she can focus on meal worms).

Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

The cage should be kept at a regular temperature, 74-78F. I wouldn't add the kitten food in just yet, wait until just before the babies are born or when they're born.

Make sure she's on loose bedding and has a good sized hide to deliver in. Once the babies are born you won't be able to clean the cage until they're weaned so it will get stinky.
conibear likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Okay. I purchased a large igloo, same as her current one, and alpine bedding. It's in the freezer to kill possible mites or bacteria in the bedding just in case, I'll take it out once I get home. Now all I do is wait. The earliest would be November 1st, so fingers crossed until then that my Peach Monster is okay.

Thanks for the advice so far
nikki likes this.

Tags
hedgehog, pregnancy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in