Just a quick question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just a quick question

I'm going to be getting my first hedgehog on Monday! I have her cage setup, and was watching the temperature throughout the day yesterday. I do have a CHE and a ceramic space heater, but I was wondering...... My room during the day is about 78-80 then at night it stays at 75, is that ok for her should something happen?
Also, I know you shouldn't really handle them when they're still getting accustomed to their new home; what are the negative effects from handling them during this time

Should any other questions arise I will surely come here and ask.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Just a quick question

I got my baby boy last week.

My room sadly is too hot (in the low 90's even with a fan) so we keep him in the living room which is usaully around 73-77. that should be fine just make sure to be careful in the winter and make sure that it maintains a good temperature (if you are from somewhere that gets cold).

I got Ollie (my hedgie) from a local breeder who socialized their hedgies every day so when I brought Ollie home he was so sweet and loving. To be honest the first day I got him I let him get used to his cage during the day but at night I took him out and he was a sweetie. Only time he ever curled up in a full l was when my dad tried to hold him. Every time I reached for him he was fine, but liked to smell my hand first before I picked him up. I could have just been lucky though with Ollie because from what I have heard most hedgies are very scared when they first get home and will probably shy away from human contact. A good idea I heard for a hedgie to get used to you and start a bond even when you first bring them home is to wear a t shirt to bed for a few nights then place it over or some where in your hedgies cage and they will begin to get used to your sent.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I also let my hedgehog have a few nights to get accustomed to his new surroundings, so I'm unsure as to what exactly the consequences could be. However, I'm sure a big move is stressful on the little buggers, so I imagine a bite or to would ensue, as well as a lot of huffing and puffing and such. On top of that, a lot of hedgies do not eat or drink due to the stress of the move, and have terrible diarrhea and such, so I'd assume that these symptoms may appear and possibly even intensify. Of course, these are just my best guesses. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable will help you out soon. Good luck!
MissCarlyRenee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Angry Re: Just a quick question

It's not a big issue as I was just curious.
I was originally going to name her Nessie, but now I'm thinking Kiara (from the Lion King 2.) Then again, I might just give it a week or two so I can figure out what fits her best.
I am going to be getting her from Gail Dick at Millermeade Farms. I do have some other questions I will ask her, but I would like to know what you all think.

First, are there any downsides to getting a hoggie right after being weened? She was supposed to be ready to go the 17th, but I will be there the 13th to get her. Is there anything I need to know about getting her earlier than normal?
Second, for the car ride (and any other transportation in the future) I bought this carrier for her http://www.petco.com/product/11339/S...Carriers-11339 Should I put a shirt of mine in there or a fleece blanket? I also think I'm going to put her hide in there too.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NessieTheHog
It's not a big issue as I was just curious.
I was originally going to name her Nessie, but now I'm thinking Kiara (from the Lion King 2.) Then again, I might just give it a week or two so I can figure out what fits her best.
I am going to be getting her from Gail Dick at Millermeade Farms. I do have some other questions I will ask her, but I would like to know what you all think.

First, are there any downsides to getting a hoggie right after being weened? She was supposed to be ready to go the 17th, but I will be there the 13th to get her. Is there anything I need to know about getting her earlier than normal?
Second, for the car ride (and any other transportation in the future) I bought this carrier for her http://www.petco.com/product/11339/S...Carriers-11339 Should I put a shirt of mine in there or a fleece blanket? I also think I'm going to put her hide in there too.
I would put in a fleece blanket to take him home in. I only say this because if its a long car ride or bump and what not he might get very scared and might associate your smell with the scary car ride. I'm a new hedgehog owner so I might be wrong about that.

I have no clue about the taking her home early thing sorry
Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I doubt Gail would let her go without knowing that she is ok with eating by herself. But this would be a good question for her, on what happens IF your baby just doesn't seem to be ready.

As for the carrier, do you have the hard carrier that goes inside that one? It's a soft-sided carrier, which means it is still not safe if anything happens. If there was an accident, that carrier will be crushed as it offers no resistance. So it's not a good carrier for cars.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in