my hedgehog doesnt like anyone else but me - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default my hedgehog doesnt like anyone else but me

i can get her out of her cage just fine at anytime and hold her in her snuggie bag and shes really good when i have her but if someone else holds her in her hedgie bag like for literally a minute, she pees through the bag and relieves herself and everything xD its kinda funny to me but are most hedgies like this? i get the feeling that she doesnt want anyone else but me haha. is this her way of telling others besides me that she doesnt want them holding her? i mean she does this to my sister when ever she holds her but she never balls up or jumps or hisses or clicks.
Maddie The Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: my hedgehog doesnt like anyone else but me

It sounds like a reflex stress reaction. Babies especially can't control their bowels/bladder well, so it's common for them to pee or poop when they get a bit nervous or even excited. Since she's not balling up or anything else (huffing, clicking, etc) it's not a defensive thing and doesn't mean she dislikes the other people - she's just not familiar with them and it's making her nervous. She'll most likely grow out of it. You can wait for her to relieve herself and then give her to another person right after, which should help to avoid her peeing on them. Some hedgehogs will automatically poop/pee in a foot bath (or even just when they hear the water running, with some of mine) so that's something to try too. Otherwise, just make sure they handle her with a fleece blanket or small towel.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

shes 5 months old now after this month she will be six months old. your probably right about her being nervous though.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

You can try to get her more used to being around other people and being handled by them. Summer is a great time for taking hedgies on trips with you to the store or whatever in a carry bag. We have all of ours on rotation pretty much whenever we go out, it helps a lot with getting them used to having people around and not being nervous with anything unfamiliar. Just an idea. You can also try to get other people in your household/family to handle her a little every day, even just a few minutes at a time. Otherwise, yeah, just try to get her to pee right before and keep a towel on hand. Sometimes hedgehogs have weird quirks that stick with them, but you can definitely try more variety when it comes to socialization.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

that sounds like a good idea although id be too afraid to carry her out in public because i fear that i could bump into someone or something and squish her in a carry bag or something? plus if she relieves herself then i will have to carry her in a wet and poopy bag and that wouldnt be pleasant for either of us haha the only one that will really want to hold her in my house is my sister, shes about the only one whose brave enough sadly =/ i get her out of ehr cage every day just about or sometimes every other day but i make she gets held and gets attention from me. i love her shes so sweet and cute, hard to resist!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

We take our hedgehogs almost everywhere with us, we've never had any problems. It helps to make sure they have a chance to poop/pee before taking them out, and otherwise just keep paper towel or tissues with you. The bumping/squishing thing has never been an issue, and ours don't mind getting jostled a little. I've found that it's one of the best ways to socialize hedgehogs - they get to experience all sorts of sounds/smells/etc and having strangers nearby (sometimes holding them briefly or petting them).

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 08-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

i would probably have to find maddie a special little carrier bag/bonding pouch or something for her to travel with me, i live inside my town and not outside of it so i wouldnt go very far for too long, maybe the grocerie store or walmart. people will probably look at me strangely xD haha and wonder whats making sounds and what im carrying. when our yorkie was a little puppy i used to carry her all over the place in this purse of mine i had, it was really roomy and she used to stick her head out and look at people but mostly slept in it most of the time, it was so cute!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

People are mostly curious and interested. They ask questions when they see the hedgies and want to pet them or whatever. By now there are 5-6 stores where people know us and ask to see them whenever we go in there. The baristas at a Starbucks drive-in, our local Petco, a few of the Walmart cashiers, and everyone at the Joann's we go to. It's great. We have carry-bags for them and also bring a small plastic container they can sit in, it fits the smaller part of shopping carts.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

haha i can only imagine pushing a hedgehog in a shopping cart at the store would be a funny sight!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieberry
People are mostly curious and interested. They ask questions when they see the hedgies and want to pet them or whatever. By now there are 5-6 stores where people know us and ask to see them whenever we go in there. The baristas at a Starbucks drive-in, our local Petco, a few of the Walmart cashiers, and everyone at the Joann's we go to. It's great. We have carry-bags for them and also bring a small plastic container they can sit in, it fits the smaller part of shopping carts.
you just inspired me to start sewing my carrying bag i've been putting off for a week or so . haha thanks!

Ladies

Gentlemen
Tabi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in