Soon to be New Owner (help) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
NR_

Smile Soon to be New Owner (help)

Hello, i'm soon going to be a first time owner of a hedgehog. I have already found the hedgehog which I am going to buy and been in touch with the seller. She is a female chocolate pinto and is extremely cute! Although I have been researching a lot about hedgies, I still have a few questions I would like to ask because I know that the more information I have the better! The first question I would like to ask is about where she will be staying, I already have a vivarium due to my eldest brother who used to have snakes/reptiles etc., the only trouble is that I was wondering whether the hedgie will be safe living in the vivarium because the snakes/reptiles that my brother previously kept died in the vivarium? What are the best cleaning methods to make sure my hedgie will be safe living there if there is any? Or is it just not safe to have her living there? The second question I would like to ask is - as I am going to be a new owner, what are all the questions I should ask the seller to make sure she is from a healthy family etc. and which questions should I ask her in general just to make sure everything is okay? Also I have been reading the download of Kimberly Goertzen's fantastic book (which has helped me so much - thanks! ), but is there anything else that I should be aware of before bringing my hedgehog home or even before I buy her? Another question which I have is what is best for her to sleep in/with? If I get her a snuggle sack to sleep in does she need a plastic igloo as well or will just the snuggle sack be fine? Also I'm from the UK so if anyone either knows of any good websites which are in the UK or websites which do free/cheap shipping to the UK?

Thanks,
Natasha.
NR_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Soon to be New Owner (help)

I only know the answer to a few of your questions but here goes anyway! You want to check the area it's living in, make sure it's ears aren't tattered, it doesn't have a big amount of quill loss, and it looks a healthy weight, not bony but also not flabby. You may also want to ask for pedigrees or health records. As for the snuggle sack I have that and an igloo and a dig box in my hedgies cage. Although I think you would be fine with just your snuggle sack. I don't know of any places that ship but all of my snuggle sacks I made from old fleece blankets I had. I'm also very excited to get my first hedgie in two weeks! I'm getting a female cinnamon!!!
kcgirl62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rescue

did the snakes die from some sort of disease/virus? that would be the concern with the cage
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
NR_

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgirl62
I only know the answer to a few of your questions but here goes anyway! You want to check the area it's living in, make sure it's ears aren't tattered, it doesn't have a big amount of quill loss, and it looks a healthy weight, not bony but also not flabby. You may also want to ask for pedigrees or health records. As for the snuggle sack I have that and an igloo and a dig box in my hedgies cage. Although I think you would be fine with just your snuggle sack. I don't know of any places that ship but all of my snuggle sacks I made from old fleece blankets I had. I'm also very excited to get my first hedgie in two weeks! I'm getting a female cinnamon!!!
Okay! thanks for the help!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
NR_

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike1126
did the snakes die from some sort of disease/virus? that would be the concern with the cage
Not that I know of, I think they died because he bought them from pet stores etc. so they may have been unhealthy when he bought them I will ask him though just to make sure!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
NR_

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR_
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike1126
Not that I know of, I think they died because he bought them from pet stores etc. so they may have been unhealthy when he bought them I will ask him though just to make sure!
My brother said that they didn't die of any diseases or viruses, they just stopped eating for some reason.. That wouldn't have any affect on my hedgehog would it?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rescue

If you don't know why they died then they could have been sick. I will just give the kids a thorough cleaning and do it a second time to be safe
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bleach it all!!!!! Lol with sufficient time to dry(min 24 hrs) the bleach will be gone. Then you can do a few extra rinses. How is the ventilation in the viv? Some vivs don't have the best of ventilation, especially when used for reptiles since they need a higher humidity. You might need to make some modifications to add more ventilation.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
NR_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalia
Bleach it all!!!!! Lol with sufficient time to dry(min 24 hrs) the bleach will be gone. Then you can do a few extra rinses. How is the ventilation in the viv? Some vivs don't have the best of ventilation, especially when used for reptiles since they need a higher humidity. You might need to make some modifications to add more ventilation.
The vivarium is 4 foot long, 2 foot high and 1 and a half foot wide and has 6 ventilation holes, is that okay, or do I need to modify it?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

You probably need more ventilation, maybe try screening out the top or side, which ever is your door.
kcgirl62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in