Thinking of Rescuing Sick Hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Draenog
  • 1 Post By kaitnicole97
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 2 Post By Draenog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2017, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking of Rescuing Sick Hedgie

Hi all,
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place or not, so I'm sorry about that. First time posting.
I have a hedgehog who is a little over a year old. He's a grumpy little guy, but things are going well with him.
I recently upgraded to a pretty big cage for him, so I have an extra one (it's not small, I just wanted a new one).
I was scrolling my local humane society page when I saw that they had posted a 4 year old Female hedgie who has a lump in her mouth, and a waived adoption fee. I immediately knew that she wasn't doing too well. I was hoping to get some advice before I make up my mind. She has a lump on her tongue or the side of her mouth, a tooth infection, and she goes to the bathroom when she is eating or drinking. I'm prepared to do hospice care for her, but I wanted to get some second opinions on her. She is otherwise very social and nice.
I'm not sure how much special care from the vet would cost. I am willing to do what she needs to be better, but I can't spend all of my money. I am also not sure if she would be okay to interact with my Hedgie or not, since I have concerns about them trying to breed.
I don't think someone else would be willing to adopt her with the amount of care she might require, and the limited time she most likely has. I am wanting to adopt her. If anyone has any advice at all, I would really appreciate it. Sorry for the jumbled post.
kaitnicole97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 04:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

It's very sweet of you to want to adopt her, but depending on what the lump is and how well it can be treated (it doesn't have to be a tooth infection, it could be something like cancer too) it'd probably costs somewhere between 200-1000. Possibly even more, if multiple surgeries would be necessary (worst case scenario) and depending on the vet rates in your country/area.
If you already know your limits money-wise and they are lower than what I mentioned, it might not be the best idea to adopt her. I am not sure how experienced with hedgehogs you are but if you have to ask yourself the question whether or not they could interact it might not be the best idea to adopt her (I don't say this to be mean, but rescuing is difficult and can be heartbreaking and I don't want you to feel like a failure if it doesn't work out because you didn't have the money or the experience).

Personally, (if you are in the US) I would contact the Hedgehog Welfare Society to see if they could be of any help.
And if that doesn't work out, the last option could be to still get her and to have her put to sleep. I understand the urge to save every animal, but sometimes it is in their best interest to make the difficult choice to end their suffering. From what you're describing, it sounds like this final option might still be better than having a 4 year old, sick hedgehog (possibly cancer) ending up with someone else who doesn't give her any treatment at all.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

I know she is going to be too old to undergo surgery, so I'm pretty sure I would just be caring for her until she passed or was ready to be euthanized. I was pretty overwhelmed when I wrote that last night. I know that she's declining, so I wouldn't feel like a failure because of that. My main issue is getting her examined by someone who knows what they are talking about. The shelter she is at right now has no idea how to care for her. When I asked if they had any idea about her health, they said they didn't, which concerned me.
Thank you for recommending the Hedgehog Welfare Society! I found a sanctuary that is only an hour away, so I sent them a message about the situation asking for advice and seeing what they could do for her. I just don't want to consider taking her for euthanasia until I get the opinion of someone who has hedgehog experience.
Quillys_Mom_Punky likes this.
kaitnicole97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm not sure why you believe she's to old for surgery many 4 year old hedgehogs go through surgery with no complications.
Lilysmommy likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

I second what Nikki said and I'm glad to hear there's a HWS rescue close by, I hope they or you both are able to help this little hog!
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is there any update?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tags
adoption, oral cancer, sick, tooth infection, vet advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in