Baby Hedgehog with back leg paralysis - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Baby Hedgehog with back leg paralysis

I thought that I would post this here and hope that someone has dealt with this issue and can give me some guidance on how to help this baby. I have a 4 week old hedgehog that has paralysis in it's back legs. The vet has determined that it is completely healthy otherwise. It's back legs just hang there. The vet has stated that she feels that it would be best to put the hedgehog down as it would be hard for it to have a normal life. The hedgehog is a very strong little girl who pulls herself around by her front two legs. I have thought of building her a little cart to help her get around. I saw a rabbit once that had one and I don't see why a hedgehog couldn't have one too. She is a young strong healthy baby and I hate to put her down if there is something that I can do to let her lead a normal life. Or at least normal to her. Any advice is very appreciated! I also do not want to cause her any pain!

Tina
http://www.bloominhedgehogs.com
bloominhedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Baby Hedgehog with back leg paralysis

It could be from moms delivery. I had this once but I lost the baby at 4 weeks. My vet had me try to work the legs it didn't work but. Good luck srry I'm not much help
Old 06-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh no, please don't put her down. I've actually known of a hedgehog born without back legs, she pulled herself around and you couldn't even tell that she had no legs back there. She grew healthy, happy, and didn't even notice she had only two legs herself. Your hedgehog is so very capable to live a normal life. That is all she knows, so she is just going to think she is normal. Just like blind people, they don't know nothing other than darkness and there are tons of them that are completely happy because they don't know the difference.

Here is one as a baby with no back legs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzpSSRwD2lM&sns=fb

And here is the same hedgehog as an adult
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQzUOS5muD8&sns=fb

Every animal has a chance at life.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to HappyHedgies

Omg! Those are the most inspiring videos ever!

Im just so amazed and happy with that special little hedgie.

Please BloominHedgehogs keep that little one you got there
HappyHedgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Hillybean

I'm not a breeder, but I would not PTS unless she was unhealthy, couldn't eat, poor weight gain, etc. On that same note she would probably have to be kept, as re-homing is to risky and honestly why do it.

It looks like they can have a healthy life. Such a very interesting and amazing video!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chels
Oh no, please don't put her down. I've actually known of a hedgehog born without back legs, she pulled herself around and you couldn't even tell that she had no legs back there. She grew healthy, happy, and didn't even notice she had only two legs herself. Your hedgehog is so very capable to live a normal life. That is all she knows, so she is just going to think she is normal. Just like blind people, they don't know nothing other than darkness and there are tons of them that are completely happy because they don't know the difference.

Here is one as a baby with no back legs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzpSSRwD2lM&sns=fb

And here is the same hedgehog as an adult
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQzUOS5muD8&sns=fb

Every animal has a chance at life.
Those videos are seriously amazing. It's inspiring the way humans & animals can adapt to what would be considered horrible circumstances and be happy as ever.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't have any plans on putting her down That was just what the vet suggested. I was just hoping to find someone that had some experience or information with this type of paralysis so that I could offer her a comfortable life. The video is exactly what I was looking for. Time will tell if we have to have the legs amputated as they do just hang there and I worry that they could get in the way. She is not my only "special" hedgehog so she will fit right in. Just wasn't sure how to address her issue. Thanks for the video!
bloominhedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Poor baby. Were her legs always paralyzed or when did it happen?

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

The main concern I would have is that it's possible for her to get a lot of open sores on her back legs-- it's possible that amputation would decrease this risk, but I'm not sure if your vet would be willing to perform it, and you may want to wait and see if any problems arise before taking that drastic of a measure. The idea for a mobility-assisting device might be a good one for when she is out of her cage though. When she is in her cage, I think just providing a secure fleece-covered surface would be gentle enough for her, although I would not provide her with a wheel except during times that you could supervise (again, that risk of getting open sores and scraping the skin off of the dragging portion of her body). If hedgies didn't have quills I'd say experiment with protective body wraps lol but I don't think that would go over so well with her haha.
If there are no health problems aside from her legs, I think it's definitely possible for her to live a happy and healthy life. She obviously will require extra care and you'd need to keep a very close eye every day on her paralyzed region (in fact, if she'll allow you to massage her back legs and paralyzed area, that will help keep the tissue healthy) to ensure that she doesn't get sores and, in turn, an infection. I don't think it would be a good idea to adopt her out to anyone else unless it's someone with extensive hedgie experience that you know personally and would be able to check up on periodically, but a good quality of life isn't beyond her in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Glad I was of help! Good luck with your special baby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in