Cage Cleaning and enrichment - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cage Cleaning and enrichment

I have had my hedgehog for about four weeks. He is about 10 weeks old I love him so much and his name is Briar. He is my first hedgie. I've heard over and over again to clean the cage once a week, but since I clean his poopy wheel everyday his cage doesn't smell. I wondered if I still need to clean it once a week. Also, I handle him every day for at least 15 minutes. Cuddling while he sleeps, and letting him run around the floor while I watch him happen daily. But is there something more I should be doing???? He doesn't necessarily have a "play area" is that a mistake?????????? Replies would be appreciated. Anything helps

bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Cage Cleaning and enrichment

Welcome to hedgehog central
I love the name briar
You should try and handle him for 30 minutes to ana hour everyday, to me 15 minutes doesn't seem like a lot
Even if it doesn't smell I would still clean the cage once a week to discourage the grow of bacteria
As long as you watch him and the area he's playing in doesn't have anything he could eat he's not supposed to or hurt himself on it's fine Area

Good luck with your new little one
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. Thanks I love the name Briar too I did clean his cage after the second week I had him just to be sure. I sometimes let him sleep in my shirt for hours he doesn't seem to explore much when I let him out of his cage though.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some just aren't exploring hedgehogs, they would prefer to sleep and snuggle with you. And there isn't anything wrong with that
Old 06-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Okay that's a relief I thought he was just bored or not stimulated enough. Do you think it's okay to clean his cage every other week????????????? Can I put pictures of him up on the site?????

Old 06-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cleaning depends on the neatness of the hedgie. Squiggy is a bit of a neat freak now, and his cage doesn't need more than a good fleece shake off once a week. I toss it in the wash every 2 weeks just for cleanliness. Other hedgies need full cleanings sometimes 2 or 3 times a week. Before I switched Squiggy to his fully set C&C he was a slob and needed his cage cleaned completely twice a week. Scrubbing the wheel every day though is definitely necessary. Its up to you whether or not you think it needs a good cleaning every week.

Rest peacefully and sweet dreams little Thalia 8/25/2012 Mommy and Daddy miss you <3
SquiggyTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Okay thanks SquiggyTheHedgie I guess Briar is just a clean little hedgehog even though he poops in his wheel like it's going out of fashion That's really the only thing that needs cleaned in his cage. I did change his bedding after the second week just to be sure. What do you do to enrich your hedgie's lives???????????

Old 06-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

dig boxes and toys like toilet paper tubes are good, lots of hedgehogs allso like cat balls with bells in them
Old 06-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyhogs
dig boxes and toys like toilet paper tubes are good, lots of hedgehogs allso like cat balls with bells in them
Toilet paper tubes have to be cut down the long side so the hedgehog doesn't get stuck.

Can balls have to be completely solid, no openings or holes.

For dig boxes, you can use fleece strips.

PVC pipes are good and easy to clean, hedgehogs like them. You can also hide insects around the cage at night for the hedgie to search for, which is stimulating.
HedgieGirl519 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Lilyhogs I have some toilet paper tubes in his cage that I put his cat food in to encourage him to explore. He's afraid of the cat balls with bells but he has a ball without a bell that he plays with. I also put cat food in it through the holes in it. He has to push the ball around to get the food out. Any other suggestions?????????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg briar.jpg (76.0 KB, 30 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in