Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cage Cleaning and enrichment (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16572)

bmaditz 06-13-2012 01:57 PM

Cage Cleaning and enrichment

I have had my hedgehog for about four weeks. He is about 10 weeks old :D I love him so much and his name is Briar. He is my first hedgie. I've heard over and over again to clean the cage once a week, but since I clean his poopy wheel everyday his cage doesn't smell. I wondered if I still need to clean it once a week. Also, I handle him every day for at least 15 minutes. Cuddling while he sleeps, and letting him run around the floor while I watch him happen daily. But is there something more I should be doing???? :? He doesn't necessarily have a "play area" is that a mistake?????????? Replies would be appreciated. Anything helps :)

06-13-2012 02:00 PM

Re: Cage Cleaning and enrichment

Welcome to hedgehog central
I love the name briar
You should try and handle him for 30 minutes to ana hour everyday, to me 15 minutes doesn't seem like a lot
Even if it doesn't smell I would still clean the cage once a week to discourage the grow of bacteria
As long as you watch him and the area he's playing in doesn't have anything he could eat he's not supposed to or hurt himself on it's fine Area

Good luck with your new little one

bmaditz 06-13-2012 02:05 PM

Thanks for the advice. Thanks I love the name Briar too :D I did clean his cage after the second week I had him just to be sure. I sometimes let him sleep in my shirt for hours :lol: he doesn't seem to explore much when I let him out of his cage though. :(

06-13-2012 03:16 PM

Some just aren't exploring hedgehogs, they would prefer to sleep and snuggle with you. And there isn't anything wrong with that:)

bmaditz 06-13-2012 04:14 PM

Okay that's a relief I thought he was just bored or not stimulated enough. :D Do you think it's okay to clean his cage every other week????????????? Can I put pictures of him up on the site????? :lol:

SquiggyTheHedgie 06-13-2012 04:23 PM

Cleaning depends on the neatness of the hedgie. Squiggy is a bit of a neat freak now, and his cage doesn't need more than a good fleece shake off once a week. I toss it in the wash every 2 weeks just for cleanliness. Other hedgies need full cleanings sometimes 2 or 3 times a week. Before I switched Squiggy to his fully set C&C he was a slob and needed his cage cleaned completely twice a week. Scrubbing the wheel every day though is definitely necessary. Its up to you whether or not you think it needs a good cleaning every week.

bmaditz 06-13-2012 04:34 PM

Okay thanks SquiggyTheHedgie :D I guess Briar is just a clean little hedgehog even though he poops in his wheel like it's going out of fashion :lol: That's really the only thing that needs cleaned in his cage. I did change his bedding after the second week just to be sure. What do you do to enrich your hedgie's lives???????????

06-13-2012 04:38 PM

dig boxes and toys like toilet paper tubes are good, lots of hedgehogs allso like cat balls with bells in them

HedgieGirl519 06-13-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilyhogs
dig boxes and toys like toilet paper tubes are good, lots of hedgehogs allso like cat balls with bells in them

Toilet paper tubes have to be cut down the long side so the hedgehog doesn't get stuck.

Can balls have to be completely solid, no openings or holes.

For dig boxes, you can use fleece strips.

PVC pipes are good and easy to clean, hedgehogs like them. You can also hide insects around the cage at night for the hedgie to search for, which is stimulating.

bmaditz 06-13-2012 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lilyhogs I have some toilet paper tubes in his cage that I put his cat food in to encourage him to explore. :) He's afraid of the cat balls with bells :lol: but he has a ball without a bell that he plays with. I also put cat food in it through the holes in it. He has to push the ball around to get the food out. Any other suggestions?????????