Cage Cleaning and enrichment - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: Cage Cleaning and enrichment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaditz
HedgieGirl519 okay sounds good. I fed mealworms to my leopard gecko and crickets too. Personally I preferred mealworms......they're slower
Crickets are pretty hard to feed a hedgehog live. Generally the hedgehog can't or won't watch them, in my experience. But I have put them in the bath tub with a couple live crickets to let them catch them. But yeah, for crickets, they are easiest fed dead.

Just want to add, you don't need to put any calcium powder or anything on the insects.
HedgieGirl519 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgieGirl519
Gutloading means feed the vegetables before you freeze them. So put a carrot or broccoli or something else in with them. The insects will eat it and gain the nutrients. Then when the hedgehog eats the insects, he's also getting the nutrients .

I use liners. Liners are the most recommended and safest option.
Okay so I would need a container to keep the crickets in then?????? Any suggestions??? His cage will eventually be two levels, but I didn't want to overwhelm him when I first brought him home. Right now his cage has care fresh ultra white bedding in the bottom. When I add the new level I'll use a liner with that one

bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Crickets are pretty hard to feed a hedgehog live. Generally the hedgehog can't or won't watch them, in my experience. But I have put them in the bath tub with a couple live crickets to let them catch them. But yeah, for crickets, they are easiest fed dead.

Just want to add, you don't need to put any calcium powder or anything on the insects.
Okay that sounds easy enough then

Old 06-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Gutloading means feed the vegetables before you freeze them. So put a carrot or broccoli or something else in with them. The insects will eat it and gain the nutrients. Then when the hedgehog eats the insects, he's also getting the nutrients .

I use liners. Liners are the most recommended and safest option.
Okay so I would need a container to keep the crickets in then?????? Any suggestions??? His cage will eventually be two levels, but I didn't want to overwhelm him when I first brought him home. Right now his cage has care fresh ultra white bedding in the bottom. When I add the new level I'll use a liner with that one

I use this for mealworms: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/rep ... flat-home/
And this for crickets: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/rep ... er-keeper/

You can get smaller ones though. I choose the biggest ones because that's the size I personally needed.

For the two levels, make sure the second level and ramp is completely, 100% enclosed. Hedgehog have poor eye sight and easily walk over the edge, which can cause internal bleeding.

If you can, I'd switch to liners for both the top and bottom. There is no need for the CareFresh
Old 06-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I use this for mealworms: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/rep ... flat-home/

You can get smaller ones though. I choose the biggest ones because that's the size I personally needed.

For the two levels, make sure the second level and ramp is completely, 100% enclosed. Hedgehog have poor eye sight and easily walk over the edge, which can cause internal bleeding.

If you can, I'd switch to liners for both the top and bottom. There is no need for the CareFresh
I'll be sure to check out those links I have the carefresh so he can dig around I heard they LOVE to dig

Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:

I'll be sure to check out those links I have the carefresh so he can dig around I heard they LOVE to dig
It is true that they love to dig. But CareFresh has risks.
- messy
- dusty
- can cause respiratory infection
- expensive
- can cause impaction
- the green hides any off coloured urine or feces
- dries out feces making it difficult to find and tell if hedgie's poop is normal
- because it hides urine and feces, often people won't clean the cage as often as it should be
- dries out their skin and gets stuck in their quills

Most people use fleece strips instead. It's 100% safe
Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
It is true that they love to dig. But CareFresh has risks.
- messy
- dusty
- can cause respiratory infection
- expensive
- can cause impaction
- the green hides any off coloured urine or feces
- dries out feces making it difficult to find and tell if hedgie's poop is normal
- because it hides urine and feces, often people won't clean the cage as often as it should be
- dries out their skin and gets stuck in their quills

Most people use fleece strips instead. It's 100% safe
I'll look into that right away What are your thoughts on cleaning the cage every two weeks?????????????

Old 06-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #28 (permalink)

For Squiggy's digging urges I made him a dig box out of a shoe box lid, and aquarium marbles that were disinfected by boiling first. I hide his mealies and crickets in there and he goes nuts for it. Much less messy and less health hazard than Carefresh.

Rest peacefully and sweet dreams little Thalia 8/25/2012 Mommy and Daddy miss you <3
SquiggyTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalia
Personally I wouldn't let a cage go over 1 week without a full clean. No matter how clean it may look, there is still lots of bacteria. Especially since they get poopy feet, then run all over the cage, spreading bacteria. And bacteria grows fast. At school we grew bacterial unknowns to figure out what they were and within 24 hours, the dish was already loaded. So I always clean once a week, better than risking an overgrowth of bacteria that could upset their digestive system and causing more problems and needing meds for GI tract upset.
So you think two weeks is wayyyyyyyyyyy to long?????????????????????????????????

Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll look into that right away What are your thoughts on cleaning the cage every two weeks?????????????

I think the cage should be cleaned once a week (or more if necessary). There is a lot of bacteria in the cage, that I personally don't feel comfortable just leaving. Hedgehogs run on their wheel all night and poop and pee. The poop and pee stays on their feet, they they walk about the cage, taking bacteria with them. They sometimes stand on or in their food and water bowls, putting bacteria in their food and water.

Personally, I think the bowls and wheel should be washed daily. The liners should be washed once or twice a week, and the whole cage should be sterilized once a week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in