Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   NEW HEDGIE (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16471)

Anton 06-05-2012 06:09 AM

NEW HEDGIE

Hey guys! I just bought a hedgie for myself, she is 7 weeks old, and may I ask what do I do in order to tame her? I already placed my shirt on her cage, because the breeder told me to do that so that she would get used to my scent. THANKS!
- Hoping for a fast reply! :)

connorshogs 06-05-2012 08:24 AM

Re: NEW HEDGIE

Some 7 week olds are starting quilling and can seem a little grouchy take her out and let her sleep on you while you watch tv. Also treats help good luckp

Anton 06-06-2012 09:31 AM

yeah i put her on my lap and she always roams around lol

Anton 06-06-2012 09:46 AM

Oh and is it fine to put her on an air- conditioned room? I live here in the Philippines and the temperature outside it about 32-35 degrees Celcius

hanhan27 06-06-2012 03:08 PM

Having your new hedgie in an air-conditioned room is OK, as long as the temperature in the cage is within the safe range for hedgehogs, which is 74* F - 79* F (approximately), which is 23.3* C - 26.1* C. Make sure you have a thermometer or two in the cage so you can make sure it isn't too cold in there. :)

smhufflepuff 06-07-2012 08:04 PM

Funny enough, the hedgehog room is the only room in the house that gets air conditioning in the summer in my home... we leave the door open so the cooler air hits the rest of the house too.

Like others have mentioned, make sure that it does not become too cold. You can always get a supplemental heating system for just the cage.
Also, ensure that the cooled air is not blowing directly into hedgie's cage. If it's in the way, either move hedgie's cage or use something to deflect the air.

Anton 06-13-2012 07:41 AM

After I carry my hedgie and I put her back on her cage I see some flaky stuff on my hands.... What are those? :/

Anton 06-13-2012 07:46 AM

Oh and when I give her a bath do i put soap on her? If so what soap? And where do I put it on? Quills and fur?

06-13-2012 11:28 AM

do the flaky things move? or is she itching alot? if so might be mites or dry skin.

for a bath you use a mild baby soap with no alcohols, tea tree oil, or dyes or perfumes. lots of people use aveno oatmeal bath. you dont put it directly on the hegdehog you mix in a small amount of soap with the water.

Anton 06-14-2012 04:33 AM

Nope it doesnt move... I think it is dry skin... What should I do?