Meet Alpheus - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Meet Alpheus

So I'm a fairly new hedgehog owner, I've had little Alpheus (Al-fay-us) for two months, and I've just made him a large C&C cage (way cheaper to make if you can find the materials) I had him in a little play pen type thing that was maybe 2ft X 1.5ft, but my mom will soon be bringing my pet cat to live with me, so I wanted to give Alpheus a safer place for his own. The cover to the cage will be too heavy/sturdy for even my fat cat to get through. I feed him Core cat food and he seems to like it, and give him meal worms on occasion. He loves them, and only sort of likes crickets, they scare him when they jump. I want to make him a dig box with fleece pieces in it so he can burrow and dig, and I've just bought him a little bird bell/mirror because I thought it'd be adorable for him to enjoy it. I guess I'm sort of looking for validation in my hedgehog raising. I'm the only person I know who has one, so I can't really get ideas from others. And the internet can be very iffy on things. Alpheus got mites from the wood chip bedding he came home in, so now I use puppy pee pads and fleece pieces for the cage lining. sometimes he tries to dig into the pee pads, so I think i need to find a better bedding situation for him. I'm really excited for him, because he's finally starting to come out of him shell and let me hold him more. BUT he pees and poos so much, it's hard to tell if he's all finished so sometimes I'll be holding him and ooops! It happens more with my husband than with me, but It's still unpleasant. Alright, so now the forum knows all about Alpheus and I. haha I'll stop the rambling now. Just looking for some nice people to talk Hedgie with.

Alpheus and Herman hanging out <3
Alpheus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Meet Alpheus

sucha a cute little one, welcome
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome!

You've certainly come to the right place for good information. Around here we like to recommend fleece (or other fabric) liners, as they can be reused and are really safe on feetsies and lungs (no oils or toxins). (: Many people use puppy pads, too, just make sure the ones you are using don't contain any chemicals that might be harmful, and that your adorable little one isn't eating it (:

If the food you are feeding is Wellness CORE, I would recommend switching to another food, as it is REALLY high in protein and could cause potential harm in your little one's kidneys/liver (I can't remember which off the top of my head). Typically you'll want to look for a food that contains a low fat percentage (8-15% or so, depending on your hedgie's running habits) and something with a protein range of around 28-35% or so. There is a really good thread with all kinds of food information here: https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...c.php?f=6&t=15

Sounds like you're doing an awesome job! Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories! (:

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Eeep, That's Exactly the kind of food I feed him. I'll look into the better kinds. I thought the protein was good, but yeah too much wouldn't be too awesome either. Guess it's a good thing Herman is coming soon, I'll just feed him the remainder of the food after I find Alpheus a better brand. His poop was a lot better after I switched him off the purina indoor formula though, but that could also be attributed to him settling into him new home as well.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think it would be safe to say that the ingredients in the CORE are probably a lot better than in the Purina haha, so that is probably why everything looked so good. I can't really say how bad a protein that high is, as I've never dealt first hand with problems from a high protein food, but I do know that it has the potential to cause damage, so in my book it's better safe than sorry (: Lots of people (including myself) have had success with brands such as Simply Nourish (a Petsmart brand), Natural Balance, and Innova to name a few. The bags of the good stuff aren't cheap, but they last forever (especially if you have a mix of two or three different kinds) so in my book it's worth it (:

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hmm, Well I planned on going to Petsmart tomorrow for a bigger Igloo, maybe I'll buy their brand and give him a mix of the two (at a 1:3 ratio) so he still gets the protein, and my fatty cat won't get spoiled on 10 dollars a pound catfood haha.

By the way, here is his new cage space I'm going to get him a big Igloo and a mini cat bed for him to sleep in/on. The white thing is a puppy beanie baby, I'm testing to see if Alpheus likes anything but the wheel, he was not super impressed by the jingly cat balls, and only sort of interested in toilet paper tubes, so I gave him a dig box, a puppy, a tube, and a bird mirror/bell, we'll see how it pans out haha

Old 05-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Your cage looks great! You have everything your hog needs, but I would suggest getting the larger sized Comfort wheel. In the future, Alpheus won't fit on it, and I'm sure you want something that will last. There is another better choice than the Comfort wheel. LarryT creates and sells two types of wheels, the CSW ( Carolina Storm Wheel) and the CSBW (Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel.) The difference between the wheels is that the CSW, I believe, has a litter pan that comes with it. These wheels are quieter and easier to clean than the Comfort Wheel.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Welcome to the forum! Alpheus is adorable! Glad Coribelle pointed out the welness core's high protein so you can switch food.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, That is definitely going on my Alphie Wishlist. I'm sure my husband will not be too pleased with the price, but if I make him clean the poop wheel for about a week I'm sure I could sway him, haha. Are there any other widely used items, be it from petstores or 'everyday' items, that will help make Alpheus a happy Hedgie? Thanks

Old 05-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Alpheus is so precious! He looks like he is smiling in his picture!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in