Questions About Bathing Your Hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions About Bathing Your Hedgehog

Sorry if this topic already exists, I looked and couldn't seem to find anything that answered my specific questions! I did look at the FAQs, but it didn't really address these.

So, I've had Moki for close to a week now, and one thing I've discovered is that she's a poopy-monster. I know it's normal, especially since she's just a baby, but she's been running through it (on her wheel) and is quickly becoming rather gross. It's mostly her feet right now, so I wanted to give her a footbath. But before I did anything I wanted to ask a few questions. I just don't want to accidentally hurt her, or get her sick. I'm probably worrying too much, and these are silly questions, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Firstly, is there a rule of thumb about temperature? I wouldn't want it to be too hot or too cold for her. But is this a case of "if it's comfortable on my arm, it'll be comfortable for her" or do hedgehogs need a specific temperature?

Also, does it need to be running water, or can I just fill a little container and put her in there to run around? I don't want to stress her out any more than necessary.

Those are my two main issues, but if there's anything else you think I should know, please share!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Questions About Bathing Your Hedgehog

I always just test the water on my wrist. For foot baths, I put a small amount of water in the bottom of my sink, put a wash cloth in and let the hedgehog walk around on the wash cloth. The cloth will give better footing so the hedgehog isn't slipping around as much, and it helps get between the toes. A couple of minutes later the poop usually is off, if its stubborn, you can use the wash cloth to help encourage it to come off.

Running water is scary to many hedgehogs. I've had a couple who would freak out if they heard it running in the other room. So just

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm a fairly new owner but here is what I do. I use a sink dishpan because I was always worried about her falling in the drain hole and getting her face wet. I test the water on my wrist until it is comfortable and put a small amount in the bottom and then fill up a large cup to have near if I need a little more water once she is in there. I let her walk around a bit in the water but she usually just stays in one place so I have a toothbrush that is just for her and I lightly scrub her feet after she's been in there for a bit. I also have a slotted spoon nearby to scoop out any poops she might leave cause occasionally she runs through them and it gets everywhere. Then I roll her up in a towel and she looks like a little hedgie burrito until she dries off. I might move her once she is in the towel for a bit so she isn't sitting in the same damp spot.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I usually just test the warm water with my wrist, like everyone said . Then I place like a towel in the sink, under the water, so that Juniper won't slip or hurt himself or feel scared in the sink. Then I place him in, he walks all over the towel, and the poop slips off his feet He hates water, but he cheers up after a treat
HedgieQuills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you all so much for the input =D
The paper towel at the bottom was an excellent idea--I wouldn't have thought of it myself.
No more poopy feet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in