Strange behaviour, gone into hiding? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strange behaviour, gone into hiding?

At first I thought my hedgie just wasn't eating. I woke up in the morning and not a kibble had been touched. But it's happened before so I waited to see if he would eat the next day and nope, he didn't. Naturally I started to get a little worried but I just dropped a bit of food beside him in his igloo, and right away he ate it. So for a few days after that I would put 1tsp of his food in his house and the other in his food dish hoping that he would come out to eat the rest. He never does.

So I've resorted to just putting all the food he'd normally eat in his house and he's been eating it just fine, but he still refuses to come out of his house. It looks like he peeks out once a while to drink (water levels go down every night and if he wasn't drinking for this long, it'd be obvious.) I think he came out once or twice in two weeks to run on his wheel for five minutes but that's it.

Any thoughts on what's happening, or if I should be concerned? I haven't changed anything about his environment - he still gets the same food, fresh water every night, the cage is in the same spot, the temp is always 72-78 degrees, he gets enough light throughout the day
Nate1232 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Strange behaviour, gone into hiding?

How long have you had him? Also I would keep temp around 76 splits I wouldn't let it get to 72 that could be messing him up sounds like temp could be the issue cuz I'm sure the lower temp would be at nite and he's prob hiding cuz its warmer in their. Could also be his mouth depending on age bad tooth ect
Old 05-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've had him close to a year now and this is completely new. The temperature is a bit warmer lately since its getting close to summer, its been around 75-78 on average, but during the winter its around 72ish. I don't know if it would be a bad tooth, since he's eating his food if I put it in his house - he just sort of refuses to leave it. If I lift up his house he immediately runs inside his little tube to hide until I put the house back down
Nate1232 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know he's scared of something. I think

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in