Weekend Trip: Will Schubert be alright at home - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LyzziFall Send a message via MSN to LyzziFall
Default Weekend Trip: Will Schubert be alright at home

So now that Schubert is settled in and doing pretty well on the road to recovery: Lots of eating, wheeling, pooping and sleeping. I have to tsake a trip up to Boston this weekend with my parents (Friday Night-Sunday Afternoon/ Evening). My friend who was watching him for me during finals can't watch him and also I don't want to move him and stress him out while he is healing from the mites or whatever he had.

So my question is has anyone left their hedgehog with abundant food and water on their own for 2 days without anyone to check in on them? I am worried about doing it but I don't really know if I have another choice. Advice?
LyzziFall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Weekend Trip: Will Schubert be alright at home

Do you have a water bowl or bottle? If it's a bowl, even if you try to leave a lot the CHE would just make it evaporate before he could drink it all and you don't want him going too long without water.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

i would see if someone else can come and give him food and water 2 days is a long time and if he dumped his water then he could get dehydrated very quickly
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Honestly I don't have anyone else to ask. I plan on putting two bowls of water in his cage, one is fairly large. Maybe I will also put in a water bottle. Not to say that he wouldn't but he has never dumped his water before.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

There are a number of problems that can happen in a night. Water being dumped out or poop contaminating a food bowl are only two possibilities. Hedgehogs are very active at night, what happens if there is an accident? Accidents can happen even in the safest of cages. Your hedgehog injures a leg, rips out a toenail, injures an eye, the power goes out and your hedgehog gets chilled, these are just a few that quickly come to mind. Yes it may not happen, but accidents can happen.

To be honest, if your friend cannot stop in for a couple of minutes each day, I personally would take him. Better to safe than sorry later.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think I found a different friend (though she knows nothing about hedgehogs) who is willing to take him in for the weekend.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have *personally* went away for the weekend and left my hedgehogs at home with abundant food and water successfully. That being said I don't use a CHE though, so the possibility of the water being evaporated is nil. Of course it is better if you can get someone to check in on your hedgehog, or bring him with you to ensure he doesn't hurt himself within that time and has adequate food and water.
pickles17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Have your friend check; as said already things such as temperature, water, and food problems can occur. The little one is helpless in a cage. You will enjoy yourself much more knowing that someone is making sure that his basic needs are met.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

I haven't left Sophie unattended yet, but I think that up to a couple nights would be okay. One would be better, because, as has been noted, anything can happen at any time. That said, the best that you can do is the best that you can do, and you should probably not feel guilty about that.

I'm skeptical of CHEs evaporating water. If you need them at all this time of year, they will be cycling on/off and I just don't see the cage being hot enough to evaporate water.

Sophie has yet to foul her water or food dish - which does not mean that she couldn't - but, adding an additional dish of each seems adequate. Her food dish could hold more food than I'd ever put in it; and her water dish holds three days' worth, so a second dish would be a nice supply.

I would introduce the second dishes before going anywhere, in order to see if they caused any problem for her, being something out of the usual.

There is also the balance of whether she is better off at home or being taken on a trip. I would travel with her if needed, but really think that she would be better off at home, if possible.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in