First Hedgie--Attacking Papertowel? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Hedgie--Attacking Papertowel?

Hello Hedgehog owners of Hedgehog Central! I am a brand new Hedgehog owner as of May 11, and I have a question for you all..
My little man Loki seems to think that the paper towel under his wheel (which I use for his potty area) is for his attack/digging through ungodly hours of the night. I can sleep through him crunching food and rolling his plastic balls around but this noise is awful. He digs at it until he rips a hole through it and I have no idea why or how to fix it..... Any one else have this problem? Or an idea of how to fix it?

Thanks!
Lucky99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Hillybean
Default Re: First Hedgie--Attacking Papertowel?

Hello,
some hedgies like to dig. The paper towels could be new to him, so new thing combined with him wanting to dig, and there you go. You could something else in his litter box, news, or a bedding product like carefresh, fresh world, etc. He will still probably dig, but it might not be as noisey to you.

Some of us offer a dig box, which has fleece scraps in it for our hedgies digging pleasure. Some hedgehogs are diggers. You could also get a hedgie hat, being under it might help.

The hats can be bought here: http://quillsnthings.webs.com/accessoriesforsale.htm
Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillybean
Hello,
some hedgies like to dig. The paper towels could be new to him, so new thing combined with him wanting to dig, and there you go. You could something else in his litter box, news, or a bedding product like carefresh, fresh world, etc. He will still probably dig, but it might not be as noisey to you.

Some of us offer a dig box, which has fleece scraps in it for our hedgies digging pleasure. Some hedgehogs are diggers. You could also get a hedgie hat, being under it might help.

The hats can be bought here: http://quillsnthings.webs.com/accessoriesforsale.htm
Thank you... I unfortunately do not use a true litter pan as Loki refused to climb into it and would push it out of the way and do his business behind it, beside it, etc. So I just use a plastic lid lined with paper towel. However maybe I will try the dig box to deter him from digging the paper towel... It's worth a try! Thank you =)

Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I guess it's in the name

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have my wheels sitting inside of an aluminum pan that has paper pellets in it. If not that then maybe use some sort of fleece sheet or stripes. It would just mean lots of washing. Also be careful of using newspaper, I know that the ink on the paper usually comes off on my hands and I don't know how that may effect a hedgie that decides to attack it or lick it's feet.

Visit my etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/TiggyWinklesCloset
Isismommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Icarus would always attack his paper towel at night. I used it in his stainless steel cookie sheet that is meant to be a litter pan. Before he started entertaining himself with the paper towel, it worked great as a litter liner. And then I had to start cleaning the tray daily because he would move the paper towel and pee and poop would run off his wheel right on to the cookie sheet.

I thought that maybe wrapping more than one piece of paper towel around the cookie sheet would keep him from being able to play with it. I was wrong. It was very noisy those nights when he tried and tried to pull the paper towels until he finally got pieces off. This was no fun... his cage is right next to my bed.

Fortunately, I seem to have solved this problem.

I wrapped a long piece of fleece around the cookie sheet, much like the way I tried to fix the problem the first time. The fleece is the same width as the litter tray and about 4 feet in length. He did not find the fleece interesting or fun to play with, most likely because it's the same fabric I use for his bedding. The fleece works great as a litter liner because of how absorbent it is. Also, he can dig with all his might and the fleece still will not budge because of how many layers are wrapped around.

I only had one piece of fleece with the right dimensions for this make-shift litter liner and recently had to go back to the paper towel. So far he has not tried to move the paper towel liner.

Hope this helps!!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

After many sleepless nights and finally relegating myself to the couch in order to get a decent amount of sleep I entered my room this morning to find the paper towel completely destroyed.... -__-. So. I found myself going to walmart to try and find something.. ANYTHING to replace the paper towel without needing washing, because I am doing enough of that as is because my poor Loki was diagnosed with Mites. So his bedding is getting washed often... Sigh. Anyhow. I ended up picking up some plastic shelf liners. The flexible kind and I am thinking I might try using that without papertowel over it, which sucks because I lose the absorbancy for pee, etc. But I might finally get some sleep, however I am worried he may try to chew on it... which would be bad... Any thoughts?

-Thanks for all your suggestions. But he is definitely a digger. He does it in his house, and in his carrier, and when I am holding him. I tried making a pile of fleece next to his tube to dig in but he isn't remotely interested in it... -__- Definitely living up to his name. =P
Old 05-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about all the trouble your Loki is giving you...I don't think the plastic liners would be to big of an issue but I don't know. You may look into double sided tape and just see about taping the paper towel down or something like that. It may be a pain to clean but it would help to discourage digging so much. As for the mite, sorry to hear about those too. Hope you find something that works.

Visit my etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/TiggyWinklesCloset
Isismommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in