Average time on wheel? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Average time on wheel?

Lilyhogs' post about establishing a current thread on food mixes that people use, and abzx10r's comment,

https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...hp?f=6&t=17819

prompted me to wonder about getting data on average wheel times. There are lots of anecdotal mentions, but I've never found much in one place.

In the last 30 days, Sophie has ranged from a low of 1 1/2 hours to a high of 4 1/2 hours, and is averaging between 2 3/4 and 3 hours per night.

Two nights under 2 hours (1 1/2 and 1 3/4). Twelve nights over 2 hours. Fourteen nights over 3 hours, Two nights over right at 4 1/2 hours.
.................................................. .................

What is average? How long per night to be considered 'a runner'? I've seen many, many references about hedgies running for hours on end, but data is hard to come by.

Sophie gets an hour of runaround time in her play area each night. Some nights she runs around like crazy. Other nights she's not really into it and wants to camp out somewhere. I am usually taking her off her wheel for time in the play area (10pm or 11pm).

I don't have anything reliable for average speed or distance. I'm getting readings of well over 6 mph average speed and nightly distances in the range of 15 - 20 miles. Every night. I am certain that the odometer is set correctly. This was discussed, if not entirely adequately, in another thread. I finally decided that she is stopping and starting, and that if she happens to stop when the sensor and magnet are lined up it is throwing the readings way off. The wheel will swing back and forth quite a few times, giving her credit for a lot wheel turns that aren't really happening.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Average time on wheel?

My Pebbles is a strong runner! She only weighs 250-275grams(4 1/2months old) even though in the last week or longer I've added 3 new foods with 12-24% fat...so I'm hoping she beefs up a little.

I take her out 2-3 times a week late afternoon so she can run outside for a good 30-45minutes. Those nights she only runs about 1-2hours in her wheel. All other nights she runs at least 2-4hours or more! When she runs look out Forest Gump lol

Oh you have a runner for sure, better get some food with more fat if you haven't already.
abzx10r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Inky used to run a LOT when he was younger, though now at his age if he manages to run at night it's only for a few seconds. At his prime he'd run hours each night covering several miles on average, though I can't remember specific numbers. As he's gotten older he decreased in activity, but he used to be quite the runner.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

i find average is about 3-4 hours a night,
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in