Likely silly, but advice? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Likely silly, but advice?

I've just got Watson and while he came from a breeder, he wasn't what I expected when I got him home. I've not owned a hedige, I admit, but I have friends who do so I've interacted with several before this. The pics and such I got of Watson before he came home showed a pretty friendly sort of guy, good disposition, but that's not what came home.... I'm loaded with questions and pics, so please forgive me

watson's now 15 weeks old, i've had him for 3 weeks, and I think he's about the largest hedgie I've seen. Here he is at the breeder at 10 weeks.

even balled up grumping, hissing, popping, and sounds like the predator.. he's massive now at 15 weeks

This is him with a regular sized mouse for size comparisons:

He eats just fine, drinks well, runs like a champ on his wheel. He refuses mealies, chicken, eggs, sweet potato, pumpkin, yogurt... everything but his kibble. What in the world do I do to treat him? AND, his poo is liquid and smelly. He has the worst diarrhea, poor guy, brown and normal colored but just liquid all the time. Has started that in the last 2 days despite no change in food, water, stress, or anything I can tell.

He's nothing but balls of quills, we have a snuggle sack and he'll let me hold him in it. Until I breathe too hard or move, then it's stabbing and those predator noises. I'm at a loss what to do. I can't do nails like that, and he just balls without warning so when I get help to try, he stabs them and they refuse to touch him (even with fleece)

He will let me touch him, all the while hissing and growling, but never without those stabby quills in me.

he will unball if no one breathes or touches him, sitting on my desk to type.

I just don't know what to do. Loose stools, really not into being remotely handled, and not taking treats.

I love the guy, immensely, but I'm at a loss what to do now to help him get used to me, and just overall be happier.
Fleta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Likely silly, but advice?

he may never adjust to you just keep that in mind, some hedeghogs just dont,

try keeping a shirt in his cage that smells like you, dimming the lights or make it basically dark when you have him out, give him something to hide under like a small blankie when you interact with him some of mine prefer this to a cuddle sack actually

the liquid poo i would get checked out by a vet, could be stress but he could be very easliy getting dehydrated and should be checked out for viruses, infections and parasites just to be safe
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

I did the shirt thing, the lights dimmed too.

I guess I'll have to take him in to the vet. He seemed healthy when I got him and still does, except for the poo.

thank you.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good idea to visit the vet.
And maybe it just takes time... sometimes it can take weeks, months, each hedgehog is so different. Some don't indeed, but don't give up yet, you've only had him for 3 weeks.
About the treats, mine doesn't like that much either. Have you tried apple or strawberry? So far the only thing that succeeded here. He won't eat it when he's with me (then he's far too busy with exploring) but if I leave it in his cage, he'll eat it. And maybe he likes cat/dog treats or soft cat food?

I have to say he looks gorgeous, pink nose

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

Watermelon also works wonders.
Some people are just animal whisperers.
Do you handle him every day? Even if he's huffy and puffy, you still have to handle him to let him know that he can't get away with it.
Also, I second the vet visit idea.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

He does look a little on the heavy side what's he eating?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just like the previous answers, I'd suggest to dim the lights and give him one of your previously worn shirts to snuggle up to, if you let him hide under a blanket or something he may feel less exposed and more comfortable to bond with you
Also leaving one of your shirts in his cage may familiarize him with your scent. Just make sure you don't wear any strong scented perfume or soaps so that he'll know YOUR scent.
My hedgehog Damien will not come out unless the lights are dimmed and he's able to hide a little under something in my lap, when he feels comfortable he usually stretches and walks about on my lap exploring on his own.
For his poop I would suggest monitoring what your feeding him and that he has plenty of water, he could also just be stressed. If it keeps happening take him to a vet to get him checked for any serious problems.
By the way, sometimes not all hedgehogs like to be pet. Damien doesn't let me pet him, that's just how his personality is but he is still comfortable with me. Some hedgehogs are just like that! Hope this helps
simply_claire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

He does look a bit on the heavy side, I I compare to mine. In any case I would visit the vet because those loose stool doesn't sound good. Make sure he stay hydrated, I was once told to suplement with some clear Pedialyte.

As for the grumpy side... maybe thats just like that. Litchi is quite unfriendly, I manage to do her nail but that's a nightmare and I get bit everytime.

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

im still new to being a hedgie mom but one thing i read that really helped me, it was even if your just holding your hedgie while he sleeps your still bonding with him.If my prinkles is having a bad day and doesn't want to anything to do with me i just let her go into her fleece sack and go back to sleep,but on my lap she is starting to open up now after doing that everyday.
kailey lane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

He gets holding time at least an hour, dimmed lights, tried the shirt thing.

Vet said to me he had nothing wrong, bloodwork is fine. He was hard to unball for the vet too, stabbing and full on predator mode. But at least the vet didn't find anything but my check for 278 dollars.

he's being given some pedialyte, clear stuff, and I've still been counting his kibble to make sure he's not over eating. Nothing treat wise is working, I tried the suggestion above, but he does not want them. Loves his kibble and water, nothing else. Still running on the wheel like a champ. I did soak his feet and am working on the nail trimming.

Still bit at a loss about the stool and nothing working for treats. I can wait for him to warm up, if he does, to me. Just worried I'm not enough for him with the intense balling, stool issue, and not wanting treats.

but thanks for the advice, I had hoped I could figure it out after I initially posted but that failed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in