Hedgie's falling off their wheels? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie's falling off their wheels?

Do any of your hedgies fall off their wheels? Both Diggory and Mina do it. Diggory not as much, just every once in a while. But Mina falls off like every 5 seconds. She just runs so insanely fast and then falls off. It always worries me and Kenny and we're constantly trying to adjust it like tilt it back or whatever but she still always falls. We're worried she'll break a leg or something... She's on a CSW and I know the inside is slick so I was wondering if that is why? Or if she would fall no matter what? Since everyone here uses the same wheels I wondered if any of you have experienced this.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgie's falling off their wheels?

apparently this doesn't concern anyone...?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

is she falling or is she jumping off on purpose?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Be patient, your post hasn't even been up for a day yet. I've never noticed any of the hedgies I've cared for falling off of their wheels or having problems with slipping despite using bucket and cake top wheels, but that doesn't mean they haven't done it when I'm not around. I'm not sure how violently your hedgies are falling out of their wheels, but that seems a little concerning that they can't balance themselves... every 5 seconds is really often. I'd make sure the wheel isn't tilted too far, like you mentioned, other than that don't really have any advice. Is the wheel spinning freely, does it "snag" in a certain spot? If the wheel seems fine, it might just be your hedgie's habits. Some run closer to the inside, some run farther out on the edge where it's easier to slip.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Pretty sure she really is falling. Because she'll be going really really fast and then you hear thunk! and then she gets right back up and keeps going. And yeah they both run very close to the edge. It doesn't seem like an issue of balance, she walks just fine. It's just that she is going so fast. I never considered the jumping thing though. Sometimes kenny watches her run, I'll ask him if he can tell if it is jumping or falling.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

If it is happening with regularity, could it be that she enjoys spinning herself off the wheel? May not be all that traumatic if she's jumping right back on.

I can envision her getting thrown from the wheel if it is angled down a bit. Sophie has a CSW and she can get it going fast enough that she can't keep up and there is a minor crash inside the wheel. If it were angled down, she might get tossed out when that happens.

Sophie runs more on the inside than the outside edge and that may make the difference of getting tossed out.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Squiggy fell out a lot when he first started his CSW. He also runs close to the edge, so to solve his falling problem I tilted the wheel back so that his weight goes to the inside of the wheel when he runs and the backside catches him. Now the only time he slips is when he tries hopping off when the wheel is still going. Try adjusting the angles of the wheel and putting her on it for a second or two to see if it changes anything.

Rest peacefully and sweet dreams little Thalia 8/25/2012 Mommy and Daddy miss you <3
SquiggyTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

0 problems with either of my hogs, both of which are on CSWs. I think Kashi had a bit of trouble at first, but definitely not anymore.

If you're very concerned, maybe use the lowest available height setting so that she doesn't fall too far ^_^
Old 05-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was actually thinking of asking the same question. Booster usually runs fine for half an hour or so, then I start hearing him fall into his litter. He won't run with me watching, so I can't tell if he's jumping or running too close to the edge or what. He always gets back on or goes to eat after he falls, so I'm guessing it's not too traumatic, like you said.

My problem is I'm using a comfort wheel attached to the side of the cage, so there's no way to change the angle. The bottom of teh wheel is less than 2 inches from the bottom of the cage though, so it's not much of a fall.
sublunary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Kenny says she definitely falls. She runs angled with the front of her towards the outer edge of the wheel and then her paw slips and she falls. He says I exaggerate and its more like every 30 seconds than 5 We tilted the wheel way back. Still heard a few thunks though. :/

Also, it can't go on the lowest setting or the litter box won't fit underneath?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in