New Owner Help - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: New Owner Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanhan27
I don't understand why you're correcting me?
That wasn't meant as correcting, I was just pointing out that it comes in both forms. I wanted the OP to be aware of both options, since what you said could have been taken to mean that powder is the only kind. Sorry for the confusion. :]

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mizzle92

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanhan27
Welcome to the forums! I bet you're so excited.

Just a few things to add...

Is there any particular reason you're going to feed silk worms over meal worms?

I am very excited. I have been wanting one for years, we just never really had the ideal place to have one. With my daughter living at home, and always having a house full of kids because of it, it was always way too noisy for one to feel safe, so I made a deal with my husband that when she moved out that we would build a room in the basement so I could have a quiet place. Our basement stays an almost constant 74 degrees year round (rare exceptions in the winter when its been just horribly cold for a few days), so I really wanted the space. She is moving out soon (fingers crossed lol).

The reason I am going with silk worms is their nutritional content and ease of keeping. In doing my research I found that silkworms are lower in fat, higher in calcium, and in protein. As well as other vitamins like B1, B2, and B3. They have soft bodies, so they are easier to digest. Plus I have a local source for them, and know how they are raised and kept. I don't trust any of the local pet places to provide safe insects. I like knowing where my own food comes from, so I tend to be that way with my animals.

As to the pool.. I can understand the warning. I don't trust any small animal to be out unattended. I had ferrets for years, I know how easily a little critter can find something to get into that they are not supposed to. They kind of trained me for being paranoid. It has come in handy though, baby proofing is now cake.

I want to thank you all again for your responses. I am learning a great deal from you guys. It is making me feel a lot less nervous about taking on the care of a little hedgie.
Mizzle92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Not many people here feed or know about silk worms, so they might be hesitant just since they aren't popular. They ARE extremely nutritious and since you have a good source, go for it! I'd feed them if it wasn't so expensive to ship them in.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Call me jealous, you have a local source for silkworms! There are plenty of people who have fed silkworms over the years, and many hedgehogs have preferred them over mealworms. I know of at least two who that were very sick and wouldn't eat anything, but did nibble on silkworms still. I'd use them, but they are inconvenient for me as I have to have them shipped in. Since I can easily raise the mealworms, I just use them.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in