An overweight hedgehog who's not eating properly?! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default An overweight hedgehog who's not eating properly?!

Hello!!

Can anyone offer me a little advice please? I've just had Henry go through some X-rays and blood tests because he's not been eating properly and poops not right. With his age (3and half) and a history with a mouth problem the vet said it was advisable. Now i have been told they haven't found anything yet (though waiting on some blood tests) and that he is over weight at 520grms?! He's hardly eating anything?! Im now a little stumped what to do. He wont eat any kibble, started to refuse the soft food apart from a small amount and will only eat the 2 crickets and 3 meal worms he gets a night.

I thought his weight was ok after being told he was only a little overweight at 620grms when he was ill over a year ago, so im a little shocked. But im now confused as what to do?! Any tips, advice etc greatly appreciated.

Oh and i have tried lots of different flavour kibble and soft food but am restricted with makes as live in UK. Hes currently not eating James well beloved (all flavours in the senior variety), Purina One Natural and most of the soft tinned cat food by applaws (these are pretty much solely meat eg chicken flavour is just chicken with a little rice and water).

He is fine otherwise though a little lazy at times. Suppose that could explain the excess flubber!
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: An overweight hedgehog who's not eating properly?!

what is the fat % in the food your feeding him?

also how much does he use his wheel. and are they saying hes over wieght just on his wieght of is he to big for his body shape? can he ball up completly?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would try to keep working with your vet to identify why he's not eating, and in the meantime, make sure to keep getting food in him, whether it means feeding him only stuff he likes, or syringing. Have you changed anything about his care or cage recently? Same temperature? I hope you can find what's bothering him and get him back to normal.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well the fat content in the dry food is around 12-15%, but he's avoiding these pretty much anyway. Im not sure on the soft stuff. Hes managed to keep his weight pretty steady (but apparently too high) simply by eating 2 crickets, 3 meal worms (it was increased to this when i realised he wasnt eating properly and his weight dropped over a few months from 600grms to 520grms) and some of the wet food mixed with some dry randomly.

The vets confirmed he's over weight from his x-rays, the fat walls are a little too thick. She believes his ideal weight will probably be around 450grms. He's always been able to ball up even when he reached 620grms. Hes a grump so balling up is essential no matter what his size!

All blood tests, xrays and poop testing have confirmed that he is well with no mouth problems or anything to worry about. However he still wont eat properly and therefore is not pooping properly. Sometimes its fine, other times runny/diarrhea or hardly any poop at all. He is still eating his insects and any treats that are given but the dry stuff is pretty much a no go. Is he just being really fussy? I could probably get him to eat enough of the wet food without any kibble but would this be healthy?

Vets looking for some advice from other exotic vets and im now desperately trying to find another suitable dry cat food to see if a change would help.

Im Stumped!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rescue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FychAHFobuQ

sorry this post is no help but i had to do it
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry we missed your post Tasha! I hope Henry's been doing okay. If softening his kibble with a bit of water will help entice him to eat, that's an option.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike1126
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FychAHFobuQ

sorry this post is no help but i had to do it
Oh wow! I couldn't listen to this but had a look and they are BIG hedgies!! Made my Henry look dweeby! They are cute when big though aren't they?

Thanks for the wetting advice but tried. He's just being very stubborn. Im trying to find new kibble options to try and entice but having problems. He's now losing the weight cause i've cut back on the treats. Ill start properly worrying when he's down to his ideal weight since i know there is nothing physically wrong. Its all psychological and im determined to win the battle of wills!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

With the bigger hogs you want to watch fatty liver when they slow down on eating. I would say a vet check is needed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in