Ask about waiting list? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ask about waiting list?

I've put down a deposit with a breeder, and am wondering if it would be impolite to ask how far down the waiting list I am, or a rough estimate of when I can expect to bring home a bundle of hedgie joy? It's not that I'm overly impatient (well, ok, maybe a little ), but I have to have him/her shipped, because driving would be 36+ hours (without stopping). Due to Canadian weather, they can only ship during the warmer months, which I completely understand, but I don't want to wait a year, when I'm already excitedly building a cage and gathering supplies! Is there a proper procedure/ettiquete involved in the breeder/adopter relationship?

Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ask about waiting list?

Go ahead and send an email asking - what you're wanting to know is completely legit, and you're not going to be the only one who's asked about that kind of thing. Just be friendly and polite and be patient if you don't get a reply immediately. Also realize that it can be hard to predict how long it might take to get to you, because hedgehogs aren't predictable breeders - so instead of asking for an amount of time, you could explain that you're hoping to get one this year before shipping is no longer possible, and ask whether that is likely to happen based on where you are on the list. Good luck!

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Moxieberry! I was very worried I would offend someone ! But at the same time, the anticipation is sooooo thought/time consuming, lol!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

When I was breeding I always told prospective owners how many people were ahead of them on the waiting list. I also told them when I expected I might have a baby ready for them.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Sure you can go ahead and ask, but it's not always a matter of who is next on the list. For example, some people want one regardless of colour or sex. Others are more specific and want a certain colour, or a certain sex. Therefore, someone who is further down the list could jump ahead of someone if what they wanted wasn't born in that litter.

I had a customer with hard feelings over that one time. They had requested a certain colour and male and should have gotten the next baby but the next litter didn't have the boy they'd requested so the girls went to the next on the list who had requested girls. I always told people the more specific they got, the longer it could take.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
". . . if it would be impolite to ask how far down the waiting list I am, or a rough estimate of when I can expect to bring home a bundle of hedgie joy? . . ."
You absolutely should ask. It's basic customer service (which there's not a lot of in any business or hobby these days). My breeder has one of the better systems that I've seen. (It could be improved, but pretty darn good compared to the norm, (which doesn't set an especially high bar)). The wait list is posted on the website. You can see where you are at all times - as it should be. There is a brief description of what each person wants, so I had a pretty good idea of where I was because the page also includes the list and description (with not so good pictures) of soon to be available babies and the date that each is expected to be ready to go.

Shortly before the babies are ready to go their new homes, she contacts the wait list and each person puts in their pick(s) and she just ticks down the list. If everybody is on the ball, all of the communications happen pretty quickly.

I started on the bottom of the list but did get a choice the first month, and knew that I probably would. I also knew that I would rather pass and let myself be near the top of the next list. It was not looking good for me at all the second month. I was like 5th on the list, which was good, but there was only one hedgie that I wanted. Based on what everyone was wanting I had no chance of getting her. But a couple of people made picks that were practically the exact opposite of what they had indicated and I got Sophie. Woo hoo!
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank for the advice everyone! I'm not too picky about colour or gender, I would prefer a darker-coloured one, though, so maybe I'll get lucky and lots of people will want lighter hedgies!
The breeder told me that they tend to get a waiting list months before breedings happen, but they can ship into fall, weather permitting, and if all goes well I should get to take one home this year. six months seems like a long wait, but maybe I am just being overly anxious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in