Unexpected pregnancy - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By SquirtleSquirt
  • 1 Post By Hammy
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 2 Post By Matvei

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unexpected pregnancy

greetings,

I am a 2nd time hedgehog owner. My first lived appx 3years. I recently brought an albino hedgehog off of craig's list, i know it was risky but it was albino so i took the chance. She is beautiful and turns out she was very pregnant. She had her babies last week and it started off really good and this morning all three were dead. I have no idea what went wrong. I tried to keep the room she was in completely quiet and private, only entering to get clothes or feed her. This was a very stressful and sad experience BUT i never give up so i am thinking of trying it again.

The owner still has her male counter part and is willing to sell him to me BUT before i go down this road, i wanted to know how soon AFTER this whole experience can i re-introduce the male to her habitat?
ncatania72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

First of all please do not post more than one of the same thread.
I highly do NOT recommend you introduce the female hedgie to the male hedgie. You don't even have 5-6 generation pedigree for neither of them. Please do not let them meet each other. This is not a good idea.
ArizonaHazelnut likes this.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

The person from Craigslist who sold her to you sounds very irresponsible, and you should keep in mind that breeding hedgehogs is a lot more than just putting two animals together. It's a horrendous idea to grab two hedgehogs off Craigslist and just attempt to start "breeding".

For example:
  • Would you have pedigrees for both parents, to prove that you're not mating related mammals or creating genetic defects?
  • Do you have a large sum of money (I think the popular amount is $2000, but I could be wrong) saved up for emergency vet visits? Do you already have an emergency vet in mind?
  • Do you have multiple cages set up for each individual hedgehog? Eventually the mom, dad, and babies will need to be separated. Do you have the space for each of these cages? Do you have a wheel for everyone? Heat setup? Do you have time to handle all of them when everyone's old enough?

You said it yourself, that you don't know what went wrong. If you had a responsible breeding mentor, then you would most likely have had a better chance at the babies either still being alive, or knowing what happened.

I would strongly recommend that you do not breed your hedgehog again. If you wanted to learn more about the responsibilities of breeding, go into the Breeding subforms and read. Things like Lilysmommy's Sticky and the comments in Requirements for breeding are great.

Munchkin
(also known as "Munchy", "Crunchy", "Crunch Wrap Supreme" & "The Cranky Crayon")
Born on 10/09/17.

The Canadian Quill Zone: On Hiatus due to grieving.
Etsy | Facebook | Instagram

RIP Marcy (Marceline).
Gone, but never forgotten.
I wish the stars had visiting hours so that we could play again.
10/23/14 - 11/20/17

Last edited by Hammy; 04-10-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

A mom that has already abandoned or killed a litter is very likely to do it again and should not be bred again. Breeding her again would be irresponsible.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you! I accidentally posted to the wrong thread and tried to delete it but couldn't. My apologies for that.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Greetings, Thank you for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for. I do believe that it was a lot of "unknown" is what caused it as well as the fact that i did not have a lot of information on her. I am hoping that her personality does not change, she is truly a GEM!

As for future breeding, it is something that will have be seriously considered, but to answer some of the questions proposed:

Do you have a large sum of money (I think the popular amount is $2000, but I could be wrong) saved up for emergency vet visits? Do you already have an emergency vet in mind? Yes and yes my vet specializes in only seeing exotic animals and is available to me, when I need him.

Do you have multiple cages set up for each individual hedgehog? YES Eventually the mom, dad, and babies will need to be separated. Do you have the space for each of these cages? YES Do you have a wheel for everyone? YES Heat setup? YES Do you have time to handle all of them when everyone's old enough? YES

As soon as she gave birth, i wasted no time and i began the set up for the little ones because one of the biggest concerns I had was that they would inbreed. I also did not know what to anticipate so i wanted to be fully prepared in case i had to remove them from her earlier.

my intent to go forward with breeding would not be some "experiment" for me to try out to see if I like. It is an animal that I am very passionate about, that i continue to educate myself about, so that if i do decide to breed, I am fully knowledge in what is involved.

This was definitely an unexpected learning experience and one that will not be taken lightly.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, but if you do decide to breed, it should not be this hedgehog, because you do not have her pedigree.

Only breed hedgehogs for which you have a pedigree, or we will never eradicate WHS.
nikki and ArizonaHazelnut like this.
Matvei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in