air fresheners - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default air fresheners

Ok so i use incense sometimes to make my room smell nice, is it safe to use around hedgies?? is using a product like febreze ok? any suggestions on eliminating odour regularly??
Tavia06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: air fresheners

I wouldn't recommend using incense or scented air fresheners in the same room as a hedgehog, as they're very sensitive to smells. If you mean eliminating the odor of the cage, there isn't really much of one, as long as you clean regularly. Spot clean liners daily, clean the wheel and litter pan daily, and replace liners once or twice a week.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've used Febreeze on my furniture, which is in the same room as Brillo- but the furniture is at least 10 feet from the cage (and is non-aerosol).

I'm a candle freak- and he has never had an issue with those either. I do keep them pretty far from his cage though...so I guess fragrance should be used with discretion...

Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I wouldn't use scented candles, potpourri or air fresheners in the room either. As mentioned, they are very sensitive to smells.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

I use Fabreze everywhere and haven't had an issue, but I don't spray it near her cage.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I also happen to own a parrot and have a mother who has very sensitive lungs due to illness, so I am a little bit paranoid when it comes to air fresheners and such. I CAN NOT use paraffin-wax based candles in my home (paraffin puts out toxins in the air-- it's like having a truck's exhaust pipe in your living room), Febreze (it would kill my bird), anything made by Glade or any kind of wall plug-in, any kind of aerosol anything, or certain kinds of oil diffusers. Birds are hyper-sensitive to chemicals and it affects their body very quickly... but if it's bad for my bird to breathe those things, then I figure it is probably not very good for my hedgies either, or even people. I consider bird-safe stuff the ultimate safe bet. Beeswax or vegetable wax candles with metal-free cotton wicks are perfectly safe (and the beeswax smells DIVINE-- I want to eat my candles). Also, simmering a pot with lemon, orange, apples, innamon sticks, etc. smells fantastic and is totally safe! I avoid using sprays and fresheners as much as possible, simply because I tend to try and stick with more natural than chemical-y stuff for my family's health situation, and I like lighter scents... I find most commercial air fresheners to be very heavy, and if I find them to be overbearing, I can't imagine how my poor hedgies and dogs must feel! I know my situation is very unique, but those are both things that have worked well for me in the past and personally I would recommend them over sprays.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasIgelPoggie
... but if it's bad for my bird to breathe those things, then I figure it is probably not very good for my hedgies either, or even people.
Wonderful post, and I agree 100% with the quote above.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Breeders

A air purifier can work wonders if you buy one that's big enough for the room.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

The harmful chemical in most air neutralizers is ethanol. If you're using Febreze specifically, the other ingredients aren't really a health issue except that they can aggravate people with sensitive lungs (especially the perfumes). Anything else is either fairly safe (like citric acids from fruits) or in such small quantities that it's not going to be harmful to you. Not to mention that you shouldn't be spraying it in your face to start with.

That said, your hedgehog is much smaller than you are, so the amount it takes to harm your hedgehog is much much less. Ethanol vapors can be dangerous in higher doses, so if you spray your furniture I would suggest taking the hedgehog out of the room for a while until the vapors disperse. I would try using their pet formula if you go that route because it doesn't contain a few harsher chemicals that their other products do. I don't know that Febreze sells a product that is unscented though, and it seems like hedgies don't like scents too much.

I wouldn't go for aerosols at all. Most aren't very good for your health when used often.

Air purifiers are a win!

.... And I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, but I was dealing with something similar earlier today XD. I just thought it was good information.
MLHollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you everyone! This is excellent info and helps alot. I also tend to be on the more natural side. My question is because my hedgie is going t have a c and c cage next to my bed in a relatively small room, and ive been told that the urine smell can be quite pungent so im trying to find ways to make sure i can survive in here hahah. that being said, what about using some essential oils in a mix with a spray bottle, with say water and lemon. just a small amount of oil to diffuse the smell? you guys think that would be safe? to sprits the room with?? I would love an air purifier but im a student and saving takes along time, not to mention there would be no where to put it haha its been an effort to move things in my small room to make room for a big cage.
Tavia06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in