Smelly be gone?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Smelly be gone??

Hello, I am getting a new baby in june and I have been doing my research but I am curious... Do hedgies cages smell?? do the hedgies smell themselves?? and if so what is a safe way to eliminate odor around and in the cage? The cage is going tobe in my bedroom right at the head of my bed and the last thing i want is to have a stinky little one. I have had guinea pigs and the smell was so intense the cage had to be cleaned with bleach every week! Also what is the best shampoo to use to wash your little one with like what brand? also is there any natural alternatives that people use?
Tavia06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Smelly be gone??

The poop smell can be way to much for lots of owners, the cage will need a good through cleaning once or twice a week. A good air purifier will help some, here's the ones I use http://www.walmart.com/ip/Therapure-HEP ... -W/9189156
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

The wheel and surrounding areas are what will smell the worst... and I can tell you after a weekend of leaving poor Amelia unattended (hey, Opening Day tickets don't come around often), she pooped us out of our bedroom.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

The poo is not what usually bothers me - her poo isn't always that smelly. For some reason, whenever she pees, even after I clean it up I can smell it FOREVER hahaha. Vinegar spray and Lysol scrubby wipes are our best friends over here (:

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

You might want to rethink the "right at my head" location on your room. They don't overly smell, but fresh poop can be more pungent, especially babies and especially when you are slowly introducing new foods. I used to keep my boy in my room, and unless it was a fresh poop, he wasn't overly smelly. I'd say he was about 2-3 metres away from the head of my bed. I would spot clean daily, and do a complete liner change once per week. Though when he was a baby, I did a complete liner change every 3-4 days, just because of the amount of poop, and he was messier then.

Also, depending on how light of a sleeper you are, and what type of wheel you are thinking of buying, it may be noisy. Some of the better wheels may still rattle the cage bars(again, depending on the type of cage). Getting one of Larry's wheels would be best and quietest.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Hillybean

Depending on what you feed them, it can make them smellier. Personally the poo does not bother me, the urine does sometimes.

Over all I have not found my hedgehogs to be overly smelly, but I do clean them often. I am probably a little weird about keeping them clean.

Different beddings can help. I use liners with my girl, but my boy gets a recycled paper bedding and a liner in his igloo. Liners even though they are better for the hedgehog, do get smellier/messier. That being said, grey care fresh bedding is smelly to me so..Honestly, it can just depend on the individual.

They DO NOT smell as bad as g-pigs or rabbits can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in