What should I know before I adopt a hedgehog? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: What should I know before I adopt a hedgehog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coribelle
You should at least have a digital thermometer in the cage at all times to monitor the temperature to make sure it is staying constant and at a good level (:
Buying one tonight!
abzx10r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzx10r
Hey two questions now for sure!

My hedgehog will not eat insects, I have tried two sizes of mealworms and 2 sizes of crickets...She still doesn't like them. I even let a couple crickets go in her cage thinking maybe she would chase them=they just died!

So my question is, since she won't eat insects; will a diet of a few types of high end cat food mixed in with fruits & veggies be enough or should I keep trying on insects??

Second question is, I don't have a heater on my cage, didn't know I should. Yet I keep my house at 72-76 degrees ALWAYS...We have a few breeds of animals that are on strick heating cycles aka 72-76 ALWAYS!
Insects aren't necessary. Fruits and vegetables aren't even necessary. It's great to include those things for variety, but a hedgehog will lead a long and health life just eating high quality dry cat food - meaning good ingredients and the correct protein/fat percentages. My boy won't touch insects, and he only eats one thing besides kibble (watermelon). He turns six months old in two days - I'm pretty sure he's set in his ways.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Like everyone said, read the stickies Haha, yeaaah. Before I got Juniper, I researched for like EVER, like 4 months . It's always important to do your research, and make sure you have all your supplies before you get a hedgehog. There's a lot of responsibility to it, and if you can't financially provide for your hedgehog, it probably won't be the best pet for you. They aren't like puppies or kitties or anything, and they don't come out to play in the day. They're more like sleepy pets who play in the night, which is perfect for those who are like busy in the day.
You need to like be able to give it at least 30 minutes of socialization everyday, either putting him/her on your lap, or just keeping him/her in a hedgie sack on your lap. As long as it gets used to your scent

Hedgehogs have to be at a 72-78 F consistant temperature. Otherwise, it may attempt hibernation, succeed and die. The vet bills are pretty high as it goes.. since it is exotic.

So many more things, but of course, reading the important posts are super helpful, so yeah!

Hope you have fun with your new hedgehog when you get it!
HedgieQuills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Man... not sure if I can do all this. To all you guys, is it worth it to pay all these expenses? Do you feel like you have money well-spent?
HedgeHogKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeHogKid
Man... not sure if I can do all this. To all you guys, is it worth it to pay all these expenses? Do you feel like you have money well-spent?
There's ways to keep the money down. Fleece liners will save you one bedding, and converted rubbermaid containers for a hedgie home shouldn't cost you all that much. Heat lamps don't take any more electricity than an average lamp (of comparable wattage), and the wheels/accessories are usually a one time buy!

The initial cost does seem a little overwhelming, but shop around, write prices down, and add things up. Amazon is a great place to shop when you can bundle things together for free shipping (like I did with my heat lamp, bulb, thermostat, and scale). I'm glad you're thinking about all this before getting one though. It seems like a lot of folks get in over their heads.

EDIT: I just realized I pretty much said what everyone else did and didn't answer the question! Sorry about that >.<
MLHollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeHogKid
To put it simply...yes.

In the three and a half years I had Lily, I spent a LOT of time and money on her. She was my baby, and I had a great time spoiling her rotten. I didn't start out in the best way with her (I didn't do enough research and had some mistakes to correct), but luckily I hadn't made any serious mistakes and everything worked out. She taught me so much - about how to be a good pet owner, and the commitment it takes when something or someone depends solely on you.

For hedgehogs specifically, they take a special person to love them. But to that special person, they're definitely worth all of the fuss and expense. They require patience, understanding, love, and time. If you can give them these (and the proper care), you get rewarded with tiny things that are made SO much bigger by the meaning behind them. For a huffy hedgehog, the first peek of a nose as they start to unball, or the first time they're willing to sit on your lap without huffing or hissing constantly. Even with a friendly hedgehog, they show in little ways how much they trust you - sleeping on you uncovered, choosing to snuggle on you rather than a stranger, letting you pet a vulnerable area like their face or belly. All of these things mean more when you have to work hard to earn them.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in