Update on our adult hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Update on our adult hedgie

Hi everyone! I posted a little over a month ago about our new adult hedgehog. She seems to have adjusted to our home fairly well. I switched her from shavings to liners, hold her regularly, and can even get her to let me trim some nails here and there. At the previous visit, the vet got all of the fringe off of her ears after I'd started putting stuff on too loosen up the gunk. She loves her Storm Bucket Wheel (thanks Larry) and is eating GREAT. She's switched entirely to the foods we have her on and loves her worms and some veggies too. The vet wanted her to gain some weight which she did. She was 280 gm at the last visit and is 314 now. She looks more cuddly and cute too now that she's eating more. She's drinking out of her bowl instead of the water bottle too.

I brought her in because I thought she had mites. I started finding more than a few quills in her house as well as white flakes on her skin and on her blanket. They tested but couldn't get a good enough result. She's scratching a lot too. The vet gave me Revolution. I've cleaned and disinfected her house and accessories. Her bedding is in the wash on hot, and I got her a new igloo. I noticed that her old one had gnaw marks on it and may have been harboring some critters in there. I hope this will all do the trick.

She is so ANGRY today. She is in her temporary home with new bedding and keeps huffing and jumping around even when I'm not near her. She has eaten and pooped, but she's definitely ticked off. I hope she'll feel better after she gets back into her full house. I bet she'll run all night long!

I'm thankful for this forum. I was able to do a lot of research here to learn about proper care, to detect the mites, and to make sure the vet used the right medicine. Thanks, everyone!
claychick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Update on our adult hedgie

Oh, so glad your little one is getting treatment and is doing so well with you. Great job! Post pictures of your cutie pie when you get some time!

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Update on our adult hedgie

Glad to hear she is doing well! I also adopted an older hedgie (Phil) from someone who didn't have the time for her anymore. I seemed to have lucked out though because she doesn't seem to have health problems and is quite social (she did have the tattered ears, but I've been putting vitamin E oil on them every day and they are much better). Good job on getting this little one and giving her the help and love she deserves
Mashedmelissa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in