My New Hedgehog Questions - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My New Hedgehog Questions

Hello everyone!

My brother surprised me with a 9-week old African Pygmy boy last week!
I wasn't expecting to get one for another couple months, so I have some questions/concerns:

1) He sneezes pretty frequently, is this normal? I'm wondering if he is allergic to the shavings I have in his cage (Gem white wood bedding- dust, pine, phenol-free).
2) He gets very rowdy at night. It doesn't really bother me sleeping-wise, but sometimes he tips over his food/water bowl. I had a water feeder for him, but one night he tried to climb it and got his claw stuck, so I had to get rid of it. Did either of these happen with your hedgehog?
3) He began quilling yesterday! How often do these cycles come, and for how long?
4) I'd like to train him to relieve himself in a litter box, is it difficult to potty train them, or are they typically pretty good about it?
5) I thought that I read online somewhere that you can use cat shampoo to clean them when giving them baths. Is this safe? Other alternatives?

Any other suggestions/advice for a new hedgehog owner?

Thanks!!
Rodgers2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: My New Hedgehog Questions

congrats on the new hedgie

1)He may need to see a vet lots of sneezing can be a Sign of a URI and they need antibiotics to treat it
2) as for a water feeder most people just use a heavy ceramic dish or ramekin
3) they have quilling at 9 weeks and 12 weeks and i dont know for how long but i have one whose 14 and a half and still quilling
4) try putting the litter box under the wheel it will most likly be where he poops anyways
5) You need a shampoo with no perfume dyes, alcohol, or tea tree oil. most people use aveno baby shampoo

i would get the sneezing checked out asap

also i would also check out the housing and diet section to make sure youve got all that down good luck
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quilling happens at 6, 9, and 12 weeks, but that's just a guideline. For some of them (like mine) it will pretty much be continuous that whole time. At 9 weeks, your boy has already gone through a quilling. The week-9 quilling is generally the heaviest, and it's the one where color change can be the most drastic. Some hedgehogs aren't bothered by quilling very much, but others can be extremely grumpy, and it can last for weeks. Just remember to keep taking him out to bond with you no matter how much he might seem to hate you, haha - it's just a phase.

Sneezing could be a URI, or it could be irritation from the bedding. Even shavings that are dust-free can bother them by getting brushed against their face. Consider switching to fleece liners - most of us use them, they have none of the drawbacks of shavings and are also cheaper in the long-run. As for the sneezing - other signs of a URI are a dripping/bubbling nose or wheezing.

Some hedgehogs will take to litter training, but for most of them it's not 100% - and for some it's more or less not at all. They poop and pee on their wheel, so putting a litter tray underneath will collect most of it. Try positioning the wheel with the tray at the opposite side of the cage from his bed, because generally they're more inclined to relieve themselves away from where they sleep. Even for fully potty-trained hedgehogs, the wheel has to be cleaned every day, and you'll probably have to clean off "poopy feet" daily as well.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

moxieberry where have you been lol

theres been no archemedes pictures on facebook lol, im guessing your gettting set up for breeding?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 04:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Heck I'm new myself so why not ask away right?

PS They all nailed your questions though because I basically asked a women whom from word of mouth at petco has a small herd of heddies...Shes done wonders in the last month for answer questions along with coming by.

I do have two big questions.

One being, are there any close up photos of the quick/nail before clipping, the vet showed me but I'm still nervous like most are with new things!

Second being, I don't have a wheel just yet but I'm picking one up...I hear a lot about poop/pee trays under the wheel and griptape in the wheel to file/trim the nails while running? Any pictures would be amazing!

Thank you everyone
abzx10r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzx10r
Second being, I don't have a wheel just yet but I'm picking one up...I hear a lot about poop/pee trays under the wheel and griptape in the wheel to file/trim the nails while running? Any pictures would be amazing!
Very much no. Hedgehogs walk on the pads of their feet in a way that their nails don't touch the ground (or whatever surface they're on). I assume by "grip tape" you mean the rough, sandpaper-like stuff that goes on skateboards or whatever. That would have no effect on the nails, but it would scrape up and injure a hedgehog's feet, which are extremely delicate.

The only way to deal with a hedgehog's nails are to trim them, which isn't hard once you figure out the method that works for your individual hedgehog. There are plenty of threads discussing technique.

Also, make sure you look over all the wheel information before you buy one. There are only one or two hedgehog appropriate wheels in stores.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by abzx10r
Very much no. Hedgehogs walk on the pads of their feet in a way that their nails don't touch the ground (or whatever surface they're on). I assume by "grip tape" you mean the rough, sandpaper-like stuff that goes on skateboards or whatever. That would have no effect on the nails, but it would scrape up and injure a hedgehog's feet, which are extremely delicate.

The only way to deal with a hedgehog's nails are to trim them, which isn't hard once you figure out the method that works for your individual hedgehog. There are plenty of threads discussing technique.

Also, make sure you look over all the wheel information before you buy one. There are only one or two hedgehog appropriate wheels in stores.
Thanks, great write up! But hey had to ask, just heard that some owners were putting griptape in the wheel for nails...guess thats like a old wives tail haha! But regardless I had to ask. But I've looked at a lot of wheels, most being wired of which I've heard not to use. Any suggesting on size would be great because I'm currently looking at 2 different wheelies. one being a 6.5 inch and the other being a 12inch. Both are silent spinners and are flat surfaced wheeles aka no heddie foot is getting caught or hurt
abzx10r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Silent spinners have a "seam" along the running surface that can (and has in the past) catch feet and even rip off toenails. It's also hard to clean. The only safe store-bought wheels are the Comfort Wheel and Flying Saucer wheel. The best choice overall would be a bucket wheel, which can be an easy DIY project for about $15. Also someone on here sells them. Hedgehogs need a 10" wheel (diameter) at minimum.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 04-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Watch the sneezing. I have read that it's pretty common for hedgehogs to sneeze when they are introduced to a new environment, but that's something that will go away pretty quickly. Meaning if it lasts for a week or more, a vet visit might be a good idea.

Here is a link to some great nail clipping pictures

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16188&hilit=+nail

As far as what to use for baths, shampoo isn't really the best option. A lot of us use the Aveeno products with oatmeal (used to relieve burning/itching) because shampoos are pretty drying and dry skin in hedgehogs is prevalent.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in