New Hedgehog Owner! He has bad diarrhea, NEED HELP - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Hedgehog Owner! He has bad diarrhea, NEED HELP

Hi, I just recently purchased a hedgehog who is about 8-9 weeks old. I've been feeding him Blue Buffalo and Wellness cat food on top of some veggies, and in his cage I have a water bowl and water bottle. He was fine the first week I had him, but lately he has been having bad diarrhea, and I do not know what it's from. I heard it could be from dehydration, so I have been trying to hold up the water bottle to him to see if he will drink, and he won't.

What should I do?!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Hedgehog Owner! He has bad diarrhea, NEED HELP

Has he had the same habits (running, eating the same amount, drinking the same amount, etc.)? Is he sleeping more or less than usual, or the same? Is this the same diet his breeder had him on? Have you offered him any new treats recently? Is he behaving differently (listless, cranky, unresponsive)? There are a lot of things it could be, the more info you can provide the better! Has he been to the vet recently and/or had a fecal smear done?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Did you change him from something else to the Wellness and Blue Buffalo? Hedgies have sensitive tummies and sometimes an abrupt food change can cause diarrhea.

hedgieluv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

When I first brought him home he seemed healthy and I didn't notice anything strange, he was really friendly and ready to run around! The only issue I have been having really is the fact that I don't know if he has been getting enough water to drink, but then again he could be doing most of his drinking while I'm sleeping. As for food, the owner was feeding him a different brand (Friskies I believe), and I just mixed it in with the current food he is eating. Also, I gave him a little bit of chicken flavored baby food about a week ago, and if I remember right the diarrhea started immediately after that, that's why I stopped feeding him it. What I know for sure is that he is still running on his wheel every night and eating regularly, because I wake up every morning to a mess! I'm new to this whole hedgehog owner thing, so I don't know what I should be looking for, and I'm trying to learn... I just don't know if it's from stress, change of food, or dehydration! Is it normal for young hedgehogs to poop a lot and have diarrhea? And do you have any suggestions as far as what I can do?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

His tummy is probably just adjusting from being on a low-quality cat food to being on a high-quality kitty food. If everything else is still the same, I'd say just give him a little more time to adjust.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Is it diarrhea or just poop splattered on his wheel in the morning? (Just to clarify - in your most recent post you said you "wake up every morning to a mess".) Do you mean he's having diarrhea in addition to that? Is it diarrhea as in kind of loose, soft poop, or watery/liquid-ish poop?

I'm no vet, but I've never heard of diarrhea caused by dehydration - it causes dehydration. Given that dehydration means not having enough water in the body, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that that would cause diarrhea, which is poop with an excess of liquid.

Regardless, I agree with DasIgelPoggie - if he's behaving normally otherwise, it's most likely an upset stomach from the new situation and change of food. The food transition might have been too fast, especially since you already have him on two new foods and have gotten rid of the old one, all in the course of a few weeks.

Also, which Blue Buffalo and Wellness versions are you using? Wellness especially can be too rich for some hedgehogs and cause upset stomach.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

8-9 weeks and with a wheel...just to clrify thats ok as mine is over 7 weeks and has a wheel but the english forum seem to think it's wrong. she loves it so much i dont wanna have to take it away from her ..i hope he feels better soon xx
Katiehogletnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes! A wheel is awesome to have! The diarrhea might be from changing foods, as moxieberry said. It should go away soon. Hope he feels better!
kittyeats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi there,
It's reassuring that your little hedgie's food has been changed as this can cause some green colored poo. Most of the threads here will recommend changing food slowly to let the hedgie tummy get used to it. At this point, you have already started the change and with close observation to be sure your hedgie is not suffering any other ill effects, you could watch and just keep doing what you are doing. If you are concerned, though, a knowledgeable Vet can help set your mind at ease or pinpoint other problems. No one can really diagnose the problem without seeing your hedgie, so the option is always there. You can never go wrong with an expert opinion.
Good luck to both of you and Persephone and I send our hedgie hugs your way!

hedgieluv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

He has soft/wet poop all over the place, on and off the wheel. As for the brand of Wellness and Blue Buffalo I am feeding him, it's just Indoor Health I believe?! Is that good, or is there a different brand I should be feeding him?! I guess I'll just have to keep watching him and see if he gets better, thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in