Am I missing anything? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Am I missing anything?

I am adopting my first hedgehog on Sunday. He is a small, 8 week hold cinnamon. I have the storm wheel shipping out, I have Colored 58 qt. storage bin that the Breeder, from Janda Exoticts, has made for me. a hanging water bottle, one feed bowl, a hide box, and pine shavings. I am getting a special blend of Hedgie food with my hedgehog along with a nice can of meal worms for rewards whenever I start to handle him.

I know not to handle him for the first day, but if it is safe to do so after that? Also. I've heard a lot of different methods to handle the hedgie without getting hurt. I heard gloves were both good and bad. I also heard about scooping up the pine shavings with him. Which is the best method?

I also have an old shirt that I've worn a lot to put in the cage with him. I read that online. Is that a good thing to do? Another question. What would be the best nail clippers to use?

I know these have all been answered, but I wanted to compile all of my questions into one second that I can simply print out. I've read websites, watched videos, and of course Ashley from Janda Exoticts has been nothing but helpful for me. I just want to make sure my hedgie has a wonderful home.

Wiccy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Am I missing anything?

You sound like you're doing pretty good! Just have a couple suggestions on alternatives for your cage set up - water bowls are preferred to water bottles. Water bottles are an unnatural drinking position for hedgies, and sometimes they can have trouble getting water out (especially if they're thirsty), and that can lead to them chewing on the metal spout, and breaking or damaging their teeth. A lot of people on here also prefer to use fleece or fabric liners over any kind of wood shavings. Wood can harbor mites, can cause allergies, and are just messy. You can also wash and re-use fabric liners, so they're cheaper in the long run than buying bags of shavings all the time.

I'd also suggest checking to see what kind of food you're getting. Most hedgehog foods aren't good for hedgehogs, and don't have very good ingredients. Some are downright harmful. A good quality cat food is a better choice. There's a great list of suggested cat foods in the diet section for ideas.

For handling, you'll be fine to start handling him after you've let him settle in for a night. In my opinion, the best way to pick them up while protecting your hands is to use a fleece blanket or an old t-shirt. That way, you can continue to hold them in that afterwards. Hedgies will often calm down quicker and become more comfortable when they're covered with something. The blanket can also help protect you from being pottied on.

An old shirt in the cage would be great! Just make sure there's no loose strings that could get caught around the legs. For nail clippers, most of it depends on personal preference. I found that regular human nail clippers worked just fine. Generally, the scissor-type ones you find for small animals in the petstore don't work too well, because hedgehog nails are pretty soft and flimsy. They'll just bend if you try to cut them with those type of clippers.

Good luck with getting your new little one and we'd LOVE to see pictures after he's settled in!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

hi sounds pretty good but might make some suggestions

shavings arnt recomended for boys because it can irritate the sheath on there boy parts, also water bottles arnt recomended for hedgehogs because they can break there teeth and they have trouble drinking because its not a natural angle for them. Most people use heavy ceramic dishes. and freeze dried meal worms arnt recomended either because they can cause blockages.

also you didnt mention whether you have a heat source or not |?

you should let him alone to get adjusted for the first 24 hours and after that i wouldnt use gloves becasue then its harder for your hedgie to get use to your scent.

good luck on the little one cant wait for pictures. i love cinnacot hedgies
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

haha lilys mom you posted same time as me
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

A bottle sounds a bit awkward. I'll get a heavy bowl

Also- I don't need a heat source. I live in texas and all year round my house stays a comfortable 75 degrees. I don't want to make it too warm for him.

I never thought to use an old t shirt! I will definitely try that out.

So I should use fleece.. Hmm.. Whats the best way to clean that? I don't want to hurt his little nose with the laundry detergent.

Now for the food. I am getting what Janda Exotics called "Pokey Crunch" I'll copy and paste the description below
Our home made blend of high protein kibble mixed with fruits, mealworms, bee pollen, calcium, vitamins and coconut oil.
We have been feeding our hedgies this blend for over 5 years and we have really seen the difference in the health and happiness of our herd.

I am sorry for so many questions, I'm just shivering with excitement and literally taking notes. I also have the Exotic Vet on my contact list, even though he is a little bit of a drive, all of this is worth it in the long run. My High School latin teacher had a salt and pepper named Shadow and I had fallen in love with him.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

i was mine with a a special detergent that has no dye-perfum but most people use a vinegar water solution to wash it

even if its warm year round you should get a thermometer and place it in the cage and monitor it to see how hot it is

also need to look at the ingredients of the food mix not just the description.

hedgies are quiet the bunch of characters however you should look at the color section. what most people call a "salt and pepper" is actually usually a brown or a chocolate true salt and peppers are very rare
Old 04-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yup, you can buy dye- and scent-free detergents and softeners to use for washing the liners! And like Quillzmom said, I would get a thermometer for the cage, just to make sure it's staying at a good temperature for him. Sometimes cages can be near drafts or in a weird part of the room where the temperature might deviate from the overall room temperature.

The description for the food does sound interesting! If you can find out more about it, I'd love to know!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

I use the cuticle trimmers from Rite Aid. They look like a mix between mini pliers and scissors. They seem to work the best for trimming my girls nails.

I would also have to agree with the others about the food choices. I personally feed a mix of cat foods that I grind and mix. It also seems a little bit cheaper. I can get about 6-7 months worth of food for two Hedgies for only $30 or so. Another thing you want to be careful about is using freeze dried mealworms. They can upset a Hedgie's tummy. If you can try to feed live mealworms (besides Hedgies like them better I think too). If you don't like bugs like me then use chop sticks or small tongs to feed them.

Good luck with your new baby. I hope to see pics when you get them too.

Visit my etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/TiggyWinklesCloset
Isismommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiccy

Also- I don't need a heat source. I live in texas and all year round my house stays a comfortable 75 degrees. I don't want to make it too warm for him.
Get a digital thermometer for the cage and monitor it for a few days before your hedgie comes home. Sometimes we think our houses stay 75 all the time when it's actually cooler.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

So I'm making a check list

Live meal worms
fleece blanket
thermometer
Cat food.
Heat lamp
Are live meal worms at pet stores?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in