Even keel exotic breeder - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Even keel exotic breeder

so im planning on buying a hedgie from a breeder here in MI called even keel exotic and i noticed he is not on the list of breeders.just wondering if anyone has been to this breeder before.From what i can tell he is responsible licensed breeder,and is very informative and seems caring just thought id throw it out there to see if anyone has gone to him before.He may already me a member of this forum,not trying to be rude at all...just would like to hear everyone's experience.
kailey lane is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Even keel exotic breeder

I don't know them personally, just wanted to say not being on the list means nothing at all.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Just because you have a USDA license does not mean that you are a quality breeder. It means that you can pass a basic inspection, and are supposedly keeping basic records. It does not mean that you are carefully breeding animals to help better the species.

I've seen him post quite a lot on craigslist over the past, and I believe he frequents the reptile sales. I have no personal experience with him, so will not comment on his care.

He is USDA licensed. His license is a broker license. Per his facebook page he sells a large variety of exotics, which is not surprising since he has a broker license. From what I have seen on his website, and from the number of animals the USDA lists in their inspection reports, I do believe he breeds his hedgehogs in house and brokers many other.

You can review his USDA inspection reports here: http://acissearch.aphis.usda.gov/LPASea ... earch.jspx

Search on Even Keel Exotics.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Hillybean

I have no personal experience with him, but I have seen his postings on hoobly. I also peek in at his facebook page. I have owned a very wide variety of exotics, and that's why I sometimes check out his fb. I do know all of his feedback on other exotic sites about him has been good..but those have been on bigger animals.

If close set up time to possibly go check him out. You have the right at any point to back out of a sale.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't know where you are in Michigan, but I've heard good things about Motor City Hedgehogs in Hartland. I don't know them personally and I've never had one of their babies. But it might be worth a visit if it's close to you and you can evaluate it for yourself. Here is their facebook and website:

http://www.facebook.com/motorcityhedgehogs

http://www.motorcityhedgehogs.com/

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Hillybean

I am waiting list for Motorcity..she had 25 other people on the list when I contacted her. I was wanting a certain marked pinto though, so if your not picky then maybe you can get one sooner.

She seems nice, but this is my first time working with them..so can't say much. For me it's a drive..
Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah im aware anyone can have a USDA license,i know it doesn't mean much ,just though id bring it up thoand im going today to check everything out,i will walk away if it is not right in anyway,but from what iv heard people are happy with his animals.the baby im getting was born at his location and is 7 weeks old.i ask him about heating and diet,he seems to be doing right by the hedgies so ill go check it out and this place is much closer than motorcity,and i am looking for a cinnacot so im being kinda picky lol.ill let you guys know how it goes
Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Another option for people in Michigan is Millermeade Farms in Ohio. Gail has gorgeous hedgies. It's a long ride but well worth it! She has lots of info on her website.

My Nara came from there.

The website is http://www.critterconnection.cc/availablehh.php

Gail usually gets back to you within a few days too.

ML

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

OK so we went and we brought the gurl home.i dont know if id go back simply for the fact that the small room all(or some) of the animals were in had a very strong ammonia smell,i was really really trying to breath and not get sick,which is not ok but.......other than that all the pets had what looked to be clean bedding,although it was pine shavings for the hedgie.I was a bit uncomfortable about the 5-6 large bunnys all in the same cage on the floor...a small cage non the less.He did say he had a show he was going to so maybe he had them packed up.Honestly i wanted to get her out of there and go home were she could breath i felt bad for her.im not trying to me mean,the animals did look healthy and had nice cages ,but the smell and bunnies and the fact that he feeds spikes delight(eek!) kinda made me think im not going back there.so i have her home,shes healthy we went to the vet on the way home as i planned on the ride home,thankfully the vet could get us in right away and had a wellness check up and she is doing great the doc said thankfully.she is eating and drinking within 10 minutes of being her new cage,she is hungry! and about the smell,who knows maybe he was having an off day with the cleaning idk or it always smell like that.Thanks for the input guys and hopefully this post can help someone in the future
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

also i named her Prinkles its from a show called the office if anyone saw that episode lol
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in