bringing a second hdgehog home - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default bringing a second hdgehog home

Hello! I am definitely seeking any advice on bringing a second hedgie home. I've had Quinn for about 7 months now, but just got a new female hedgehog (naia) from a friend who couldn't keep her. Right now, Quinn is in her C&C cage while Naia is in a 75 gallon aquarium (temporarily) because I want to be sure everything's ok with her before I even think about Introducing them. I know a vet visit is a must, and I just ordered a second wheel from LarryT...but I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can give me about introducing two female hedgehogs. If they get along I do plan on moving Naia into Quinn's cage...or is this a bad idea? Thanks in advance
RIP Perry the Parakeet. You will be forever missed my chatty little friend.

muckquenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: bringing a second hdgehog home

Personally, I really don't suggest it. Playtime together is great, but hedgies are very solitary and in my experience, they really hate when anyone else is in "their" space, even if they're both girls. Sometimes if they are mom and daughter or sisters it can work... but even then, they can get into fights that can go very badly very quickly. I know my mamas even get a little testy with their daughters once they hit the 7 week mark, which is why I separate mama, the girls, and the boys, into separate cages until the babies are all picked up in a few days. Hedgies just like their space. I allow my girls to play together in a neutral area (not in each others cages), but I don't house them together because I get worried that they will get in a fight while unsupervised. I remember reading a post somewhere about someone's breeding pair, who'd been caged together without incident in the past, getting in a fight. She heard the commotion and got to them pretty quickly, but one still lost an eye and I believe the other didn't make it (if I remember correctly... I tried looking it up but couldn't remember who posted!). I know that's a little different than the two females, but still, it serves to show that even a quick fight between hedgies can end very badly. I personally wouldn't risk it. Supervised playtime together is the better option I think. Maybe others will have differing opinions and experiences, but that's my own personal suggestion.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would personally not risk it. I only know of one hedgie couple that is doing fine, and that is Isis and Juju from this forum! Besides them, I have never heard of any hogs being good together.

And remember, even if they live together, they would need 2x the stuff. 2x the bigger cage, 2x food bowls, 2x water dishes, 2x wheels, etc...

Old 04-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

they also need to be seperate for at least 30 days. i was told to keep them in seperate rooms if possible to make sure they arnt harbouring anything they could give to each other. also handle the old on first and then the new one and wash your hands and change your shirt in between if possible.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

If Quinn has been living her own cage now for the last 7th months, I find it highly unlikely that she would be welcoming to another hedgehog in her space. I would personally get them two cages, to ensure no risk to either hedgehog.
pickles17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks so much for all your help! I'm definitely going to keep them separate for now...probably always. I really appreciate the comments
RIP Perry the Parakeet. You will be forever missed my chatty little friend.

muckquenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

You're welcome! Can't wait to see pics of the new one
pickles17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in