Red Scratchy Spots. Not mites and not quilling HELP ME PLEASE!!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

So on thursday 23/2/17 i got my 6 months hedgie Darwin.. at first it was pretty late and he wouldnt really let me get a good look at him.. but then... the next day i saw that he had some red spots on his back and i didnt notice any scratching so i throught that it just were some few quills finally penatrating the skin.. but i was wrong..so on saturday i gave him a quik olive oil bathe but then i saw the spots more clearly and got a little concerned.. so i contacted his former owner and she said (shes and expert btw) that he didn have any of the spots before... she said it could be stress or allergy.. i asked how i can know and she said that mostly if his poop is greenish.. hes stressed BUT it isnt! and there isnt alot of new thinks around here... i can hear him scratch alot when he runs on his little wheel.. every now and then (like every 30-60 seconds) he scratches on his wheel, and the red spots have spread... i dont belive its mites cuz he have not been losing any quills and i really dont know what to do...my mom says "the vets to expensive and if he is sick we should give him back because they! (the expert and her boyfriend) gave us! an sick hedgehog" but i dont want to give him back ); (even tho he pretty much hates me) please somebody help me! Ask me any kind of questions anytime, just help me please xC

Last edited by DarwiTheHedgie; 02-27-2017 at 02:40 PM.
DarwiTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwiTheHedgie View Post
So on thursday 23/2/17 i got my 6 months hedgie Darwin.. at first it was pretty late and he wouldnt really let me get a good look at him.. but then... the next day i saw that he had some red spots on his back and i didnt notice any scratching so i throught that it just were some few quills finally penatrating the skin.. but i was wrong..so on saturday i gave him a quik olive oil bathe but then i saw the spots more clearly and got a little concerned.. so i contacted his former owner and she said (shes and expert btw) that he didn have any of the spots before... she said it could be stress or allergy.. i asked how i can know and she said that mostly if his poop is greenish.. hes stressed BUT it isnt! and there isnt alot of new thinks around here... i can hear him scratch alot when he runs on his little wheel.. every now and then (like every 30-60 seconds) he scratches on his wheel, and the red spots have spread... i dont belive its mites cuz he have not been losing any quills and i really dont know what to do...my mom says "the vets to expensive and if he is sick we should give him back because they! (the expert and her boyfriend) gave us! an sick hedgehog" but i dont want to give him back ); (even tho he pretty much hates me) please somebody help me! Ask me any kind of questions anytime, just help me please xC

I'm sorry I don't know what it is and I know this isn't what you want to hear but I don't think you should have a hedgehog if you can't take it to the vet. It would definitely be better for the animal. I don't mean to be rude but it's a little selfish to keep it under the circumstances.
Reggiesmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you can't take him to the vet, you need to find a new home for him that is able to. You can contact the Hedgehog Welfare Society and they can see if there's a rescue station anywhere near you or if they have any prospective adopters in your area that would be willing to take him. Hedgehogs require vet visits and can often be quite expensive. You should not keep him if your mom isn't going to be prepared to help pay for that cost - it can easily reach & pass $500.
nikki likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

The "expert" you got him from sounds more like a backyard breeder to me. Any reputable breeder would be offering to help you and wouldn't have sold him to you like that. It sounds like he could have a bacterial or fungal skin infection. Both of these things need to be treated by a vet, there are no home remedies for them. Oil is just going to make it worse.

As already said if your mom isn't going to be willing to take him to the vet then you need to find him a new home. Pets require vet care. He isn't going to get better if he doesn't get treated by a vet.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

How are you sure they aren't mites? Also, if you could afford the large expense of getting a well-bred hedgie and the proper supplies that come with it (for me it was almost $430), how can you not afford vet care?
SherlTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in