Setting up first hedgie cage! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Setting up first hedgie cage!

Ok, I've read up on hedgehogs quite a bit, and I've pretty much figured it all out, I've still got plenty of time until i get the little guy but i was wondering what would help keep my hedgehog's living quarters at 76ish while my house is at around 68-70 most of the time (i can turn my heat up to around 72ish without sweating to death but i'd like to avoid it if possible.) I have a 30" Long 18" Wide cage, plastic bottom wired sides. i stuck a 100 watt CHE with a 10" dome on top of it and it does keep it a bit warmer but i don't think that will be enough alone, especially when i have my AC on in the summer. I read weaving plastic between the wires helps hold the heat in, and I'm sure it will block the draft of the AC also, but what do people usually use for that? I have a small space heater that i plan to use with my thermostat so it can help the CHE keep the temp up. One last question for now, is it fine to use a water bottle that a gerbil would use instead of a water dish? i read somewhere not to use them but I'm not sure how true that is... thanks, and if you have any tips one preparing a cage I would appreciate it
zaquiri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Setting up first hedgie cage!

For plastic strips, you can go to the dollar store and buy plastic place mats and cut them up - I've found it makes a great amount of difference. Having a space heater and a CHE will probably be a perfect combo, so long as any blowing is pointed away from the cage. You might not even need the space heater at all - I would try plugging everything in and letting it run on its own for a couple of days, and monitor the temperature. Those little CHEs do a pretty good job, and your cage isn't that big, so you might not have any problem at all (:
Most people here on this forum will advise strongly against using a bottle, as they have been known to cause not only chipped teeth and cut tongues but also dehydration (from it being such a slow process of getting just one drop at a time by licking the end of the metal tube). Some have had success but in my opinion, and I'm sure in many others', bowls are definitely the way to go (:

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Setting up first hedgie cage!

I just went out and got me a thermometer and it looks to be doing fine, 76-77 on the outside corners and 81-82 directly under the lamp, I'm a bit worried about my AC in the summer because even if i have it set to 70 it will be freezing while it's trying to get the room cooler. Worst case scenario ill just shut it off while I'm at work or cover the cage. I'm too excited to get my new friend :P
zaquiri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in