How fast is too fast (changing around a hedgie's routine) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How fast is too fast (changing around a hedgie's routine)

I adopted Max on monday from a friend who was tired of the daily upkeep. She's a very healthy hog being fed decent cat food. Her bedding looks like a mix between yesterday's news and carefresh.

The only thing I changed in her cage was the crummy wheel to a flying saucer. I don't know if she likes it, she didn't really seem to use it last night.

When is too soon to change to fleece liners? I don't want to shock her by changing too much at once.

How can I get her to eat her insects? She is taking to a mix of her food and blue buffalo very well but she refuses to eat mealworms or crickets (canned). She took one live one from my hand, but doesn't seem interested in the bowl of them I set out for her.

Bonding. She's a huffy little girl which is to be expected. According to her previous owners she has an "attitude". Really I think she's just being a normal hedgehog. I put a tee of mine in her sleeping quarters (which she quickly annoited with!) but other than pulling her out to let her explore the room I've been pretty hands off. Don't want to push it and spook her. When should I start trying to handle her?
zoologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How fast is too fast (changing around a hedgie's routine)

You can change to liners as soon as you want to (: though it might be helpful to have her old bedding in a litter box or something.
My Kazooie wouldn't touch any kind of insect until I kind of mashed/cut one up and left it in her food bowl with her kibble overnight. I guess she decided to taste it because ever since she has loved them. Some people recommend kind of mashing them and then putting it up to their mouths so that they can see that it is tasty stuff, but I didn't have any luck with that. I think with this kind of thing it is mostly trial and error. Some will never eat bugs, or so I've heard haha.
If she seems super stressed, you could leave her for a day in her cage to settle in, but the fact that she is exploring outside of her cage makes me think that you can go ahead and start interacting directly with her right away (: snuggle bags and blankets are a great way to start all this off (:
Best luck! Keep us updated (:

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: How fast is too fast (changing around a hedgie's routine)

Thanks, Coribelle! I ended up switching over to the liners and leaving her old bedding in the litter box. apparently she is litter trained but the only time i've seen her poop is on the wheel or in a bath!

I took her out mid day and let her stay asleep in the teeshirt in my arm while I worked on the computer. When she was up she was down to explore all around the bed and crawl all over me but the second I went to touch her or pick her up she would go into defense mode. The only time she was out of a ball and squirmy was during bath time.

I talked to a breeder friend last night who said since she is 4 that she is "established" and her personality won't change. is this true? That's cool with me if she wants to be standoffish, but it would be nice if she would learn to trust me and eventually allow me to pick her up.
zoologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in