hedgie dilemma - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hedgie dilemma

So, I adopted Penelope mid-October of last year from horrible conditions since her owner was a pet hoarder and didn't know how to take proper care of her. Since her adoption, I have her on a proper light schedule (which hasn't affected her because she still follows her own schedule) and give her proper heat in a large cage etc. I took her out of her cage every day for at least an hour but I realized it put a lot of stress on her and she never did warm up to me. I gave her a few baths since I have had her which she disliked and still am at no whim to clip her nails (I'm scared to do it on my own and my boyfriend is scared to hold her) and took her to my vet (he has never done hedgehogs but I figured he could clip her nails) and to no avail. I have switched her food, which her poop seems to be looking better since now she is on Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul Light and runs incessantly on her wheel every night.

My question here is do you think she is happy living her solitary life? I feel awful because I've done all I can to help her but she still seems so stressed out. I feel like I am on the border here of deciding whether or not to look for a more hedgie experienced owner so that she has better care than even I can give her or if she is happy with being here. I don't know I take good care of her and give her toys but she does not touch them and I think that she is set in her ways. I'm just looking for opinions here because I know hedgehogs are naturally solitary animals. If I do decide to put her up for adoption I will definitely screen whomever is looking to get her on their hedgehog knowledge because she definitely does not deserve to go back to the conditions her previous owner(s) kept her in.
holtzchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: hedgie dilemma

I think you are providing her with good care. If you get rid of her you are just going stress her out further by her having to readjust yet again. Thats my opinion anyway. I understand your frustration. I would try having her just in a blanket on your lap to sleep to try and get used to you maybe? Talk to her alot even when shes in the cage. While you are refilling her food and water. Someone else will probably be able to give you better advice.

pink-ster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

yes, I have done that. I am aware that some hedgehogs never warm up to anyone, my concern is whether or not it stresses her out too much to be handled. I would take her out every night to sleep in my lap in a blanket for a minimum of an hour but every time I would move she would hiss and puff and pop. Poor thing seemed stressed even by that alone. I'm not frustrated by that, I'm actually just concerned.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do you have the lights off or dim when she's out?
BatmanJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

It is also very normal for hedgies to huff and pop and every movement you make. Diggory does it constantly and I know that he is not stressed. If her poop is a normal color and she is eating and drinking and running, I doubt very much that you are stressing her out too badly.

I am concerned about her nails though. They need to be cut eventually and if you cannot do it then you will need to find a vet that sees hedgehogs to do it.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I have taken in a few rescue hedgies that had never been handled before I got them, some have eventually adjusted to being handled and some never did. I would still hold them, spend time with them but I keep them in a hedgie bag sitting beside me on the couch or in their bag on my desk while I work. It takes a long time but I did see improvement with all of them over time. My one girl, Maggie, now will stay unballed in her house when I feed her and will even poke her head out a tiny bit sometimes while I talk to her. I've had her for three years now and consider this a major step forward with her. Your hedgie may never become really social but I believe they do know we love them and that they do relax some over time. Don't give up, your hedgie has a much much better life now than before you got her and I really belive she can feel your love for her. Hedgies are solitary animals so I wouldn't worry about that part. Keep spending time with her but let it be on her terms, maybe beside you not on you, or in a play pen might make a differnce, over time.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey,

I do keep the lights on when I take her out simply because if I have her with the lights dim or off I want to sleep, I work super long days but she will never actually come out of her hut unless the lights have been off for like 2/3 hours usually comes out every night at 2 am regardless of the fact that I start her lighting cycle from 7am up until 7 pm. She is set in her ways in that sense.

With her nails, my vet has tried, I have tried, its not working she wont stand still and I am afraid of clipping her toe off :/ and if I don't have her in water, she definitely balls up. It's odd because my vet is pretty good with exotics, he handles my ferret and rabbit and budgies just fine. I suppose hedgies are VERY different if you've never dealt with one though... Hmm.. I guess I will start taking her out again, I decided to give her a break for a couple of weeks simply because I switched her food and had some guests from Europe over, since I live in a 1 bedroom apt I definitely didn't want anyone poking at her or anything. Uhhh I hate how people think they know better about animals' temperaments despite the fact that I've owned them all for a very long time and even my vet thinks I'm a little nuts with good care
Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Another idea, if you haven't tried it yet, is you can put a shirt you have slept in/worn all day into her igloo so she can become more used to your scent and associate it with good, non-stressful things. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

If her nails need clipping badly your vet should be able to sedate her to do it.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have given her shirts and stuff with my scent to sleep on. She is calmer with me than with anyone else. The problem is, is that no one is even supportive anymore, I find I am the only one to say that she deserves a fair chance. The rest of my family keeps telling me to "sell her because hedgehogs belong in the wild, not in pet stores as pets". They just don't understand that a hedgehog is a solitary animal and that MANY people have them as pets. It bugs me so much. I suppose that MOST people actually don't deserve a hedgehog as a pet and that petstores are irresponsible with marketing them as cute cuddly animals :\.... I think she probably feels that negative energy going around too!

I didn't realize that my vet could sedate her to clip her nails. He was going to try holding her underneath with a big pair of gloves so that she doesn't curl up but I told him not to because it will DEFINITELY put too much stress on her!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in