What should i do? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What should i do?

Leo is growing into a big boy and is staying awake more now. Which isnt a big problem but it is at night for me. His cage is on a table like thing in my room as that is the only place with great natural sunlight too. I know hedgehogs are awake mostly at night but Leo runs ALL NIGHT! Before he wouldnt as much so im guessing as hes growing older hes running more. Is there any thing i could do to help me sleep at night? He has the carolina wheel ( i think thats what its called) But its for sure 100% one of the safe ones so i dont want to switch wheels.
Mimni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: What should i do?

Is it his footsteps that you hear that's keeping you awake? Or is the wheel banging against something, or shaking the cage/table? Larry's wheels are typically completely silent if everything's set up right and they're greased and all that. If it's something on the wheel that's being noisy, I'm sure he'd be able to tell you how to fix it. If he's shaking the cage/table, you may have to move the cage to the floor, if that's possible, or see if you can stabilize the table or something? If it's just his footsteps, I'm not sure if there's much you could do to muffle it. Perhaps a white noise machine might help?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

his wheel is perfectly fine no noise nothing. Its just his feet and he runs even faster now so it makes it worse haha

Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

i dont think you can make him run less, and changing his wheel wouldnt change the foot steps. Only thing you could do is move his cage out of your room or invest in some ear plugs.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

So there is really absutuely nothing else?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

if its his feet on the wheel making the noise thats bugging you and not the wheel itself making noise there isnt much you can do.

I guess you could rig the wheel with fabric so that it was a softer noise but then it would need to be change daily since hedgies like to poop in their wheels. so might be more trouble then its worth.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's hard to come up with any solution when it's his footsteps that are waking you up. The only things I can think of are moving his cage out of your room, getting a white noise machine or a fan (that doesn't blow towards his cage) to help mask the sound, or wearing ear plugs to bed so you don't hear him. I think trying to put any kind of liner on his wheel is going to be much more trouble than it's worth, and could pose a hazard to him - if it's not nice and tight-fitting, it could get a wrinkle that trips him up, or if it's anything but fleece, it could get loose threads to catch on his nails/toes/feet.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I live in Fl in a really old building, so here a dehumidifier is a must. I've found that the low hum from the machine makes a huge impact on both the smell AND noise. I sleep much more soundly with the white noise, and I can't hear anything hardly at all, save for food crunching. I would definitely try something like that out.

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

It sounds like your hedgie is adapting very well. Everything you described is completely normal. Is there another room you can move him into? I wouldn't do anything to impede his running because that is what hedgies do and it sounds like he's happy doing it too. I'm sorry your not sleeping well, but I'm really happy your little guy loves his wheel.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yea im so happy leo is adapting and is all relaxed but man does he keep me up. I think ill get the humidifier into my room since i cant move him to any other room.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in