Preschool - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Preschool

Hi my mom works at a preschool and wants to bring my hedgehog I would come down after school to help Pixel would be in a different room and I asked her to put a small heater. And bring her entire cage. I would give her a break for a few days after to calm down if needed. This is only a mabey and if it's okay anything else I should bring or do.
Pixel101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's a bad idea all around. Lot of unnecessary stress on your hedgehog. And in the event that a kid gets bitten...
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

All those kids would put alot of pressure on pixel and the children could hurt her i wouldn't recommend it

Old 02-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

IMO, all day is a bit too much. If you could go down for just a half hour or so to do a "show & tell" kind of thing, that would probably be okay. I've done things like that with Lily, though I haven't really had any opportunities to do so with my current girls. But it depends on Pixel as well - have you had her out of your house before, to have a chance to see how she reacts? Is she usually a defensive hedgie? How does she tolerate other people besides you? Is she okay with being woken during the day?

If you do decide to take her, I wouldn't allow the kids to pet her or anything, just looking. Maybe if you walked her around, they could do a one-finger or two-finger pet, to see what her quills feel like, but nothing more. Make sure you have hand sanitizer for everyone to use afterwards if they touch her. If you have any loose quills, you could let them feel how sharp those are. Be prepared for her to potty at some point & have supplies to clean that up. (Also be prepared for the kids to think it's the most hilarious thing ever & make a lot of noise about it.)

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 06:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Okay if we do I'll keep it quiet and have the kids sit down for a little while, and chances are I could find a quill. They've been begging her all week because I found out that a long time ago they did Groundhog Day with hedgehogs. And now they want see a real one. A year or 2 ago a teacher brought in her hedgehog and it went pretty well and most of moms class came from that one.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

It went pretty well she was a bit hissy but not to bad. Before we should her around school she was super social and everybody loved her. So ya It was great
Old 02-02-2017, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thats good that it went well
Old 02-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm glad to hear it went great!
Old 02-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

I teach Preschool privately in my home. A farm.and forest remove the walls program. Our hedgies live in our living area but once or twice a week come out to visit. I lay down a large fleece and set up their playpen fence. The children sit quietly and watch them eat treats. If the hedgie comes within reach, which means you must remain quiet and gentle, they are permitted to stroke the quills. Always wash hands before and after visiting. I have learned that if we smell like food they are more likely to taste us.
Laseterlass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in