Ahhh! Help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to infamousrenie
Default Ahhh! Help!

Yes, I'm still alive. My hedgies haven't hufflepuffed me to death yet!

Okay, so a while back I posted about getting to those little tootsies to cut those nails. Well, I haven't been able to and I feel like a TERRIBLE hedgie owner. Brillo and Comet's nails are horrendous, but I can't get to them! Am I bad because of this? I don't know how to get to them. Someone mentioned to me a while back that they let their hedgies sleep in a towel in their lap and they just clip them when a foot slips out... but they don't do that. They aren't really snugglers. They fret and freak out until I put them back in their house.

Help. I don't know what to do.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ahhh! Help!

Sounds frustrating..I have my husband hold Stella, she tends to stay opened up if she's belly down in hands. As she's wiggling around in his hands, I'm able to clip her nails. It's tricky though. It sounds like yours are scared of the clipper or something. Try letting her walk on the floor, get down real low and try clipping them while they're snacking. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to infamousrenie

Thanks! I just feel so awful! I can't get them to cooperate. Ever. And I'm petrified I'll snip one of their toes off!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I bribe my girls with a snack and get them while they're distracted. or I put a towel, fleece, or blanket over their head and get their back nails. I've also heard some people use a cuticle trimmer, but I have no experience with it so can't say how well it works.
BatmanJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yea..I just use a baby clipper. But even with a cooperative hedgie, it's nerve racking cause of those tiny feet. Keep at it..I'm sure you'll come to a solution.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you! I was just going through the same thing and was deciding whether to post something... I tried to do Dexter's after his bath the other day, and he got himself all worked up and tried to bite me (which hes never done). So I gave up and put him back in, and when I took him out the next night, I guess he was still pissed at me cuz he tried biting me again . I just threw a towel over his head and didnt touch him to have some sort of bonding time, but im afraid to try again because I really dont want him to get too stressed out over it. He's almost a year and hasnt had them cut in a while, but they dont look too bad.... But anyway thanks for posting about this!

http://www.TickerFactory.com
MLL389 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I cut Harvey and Izzy's nails while they are in a foot bath. Just a 1/2 to 1 inch of water to keep them from balling up. I am very careful to cut their feet under the water level too, so they don't feel like I'm trying to pull the leg out of it's socket. Just try to go slow. Izzy has even learned how to flamingo her leg up into herself to make things trickier. I just change to a different foot. I end up nearly having my nose touching the water so I can see, but it works for us. If Izzy's had enough, she'll curl into a ball on her side or pull a "boneless fish" move. I would try getting them in the bath every 1 to 2 days and even if you have to do 1 nail a day, you'll still get them done in 18 to 36 days. Don't try to get too close to the quick (pink part), just get a little off the end so they don't think it's such a big deal. That is still better than what it was before. Best wishes.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have an old post about how hard it is to trim Squiggys nails, and its STILL a huge challenge I found whats easiest for us is to wrap a length folded sock around his tummy and use it as a sling to hold him slightly in the air while I snip. Its better if I have my bf hold him, so I can use one hand to hold a paw and the other with the trimmer. The sling works because it lets him be in a standing position and he doesnt freak out as much. However, unless its cuddle time he WILL NOT stay still and will occasionally squirm around trying to get down. Adjust every now and then and when he starts getting too stressed we put him down and let him relax a bit before trying again.

Rest peacefully and sweet dreams little Thalia 8/25/2012 Mommy and Daddy miss you <3
SquiggyTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's a challenge for me and Sophie too. She doesn't care for foot baths and especially not clipping. Part of the problem is that I am slow to pull the trigger on a clip because of worry that I might cut a whole toe off, never mind the quick.

What I've settled for is getting a good look at her nails while her feet soak. She's pretty good about letting me brush her legs and feet with a toothbrush. I try to identify just two or three nails as a priority, Because she needs a foot bath every other day, - really, I will never need to trim more than a couple of nails at a time even if she never gets better about it. We can manage that.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

if all else fails see how much it would cost you to have your vet cut their nails...
ashh51191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in