Thinking of getting a baby hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking of getting a baby hedgie

I was thinking about raising a hedge hog from a baby I haven't done it (I got my hedgie when she was already pretty much fully grown). I was wondering if there were any real concerns with having a baby and a larger hedge hog together either in the same play pen or cage? I was going to get another girl just to increase the chances of them getting along well. I wanted to be fully informed though before did anything at all. Just wondering opinions or suggestions with regards to this matter.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo
Default Re: Thinking of getting a baby hedgie

Hedgehogs shouldn't be taken from their mothers before six weeks.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christemo
Hedgehogs shouldn't be taken from their mothers before six weeks.
yeah I was going to get her from a breeder so it would be around that amount of time...

Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure that it is usually advised that hedgehogs shouldn't be housed together to prevent any fighting. I think it is ok for them to play together though so long as they are both girls (:
However, I know if they DO live together peacefully, then you will need two of EVERYTHING (: including wheels, igloos, etc (:

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coribelle
I'm pretty sure that it is usually advised that hedgehogs shouldn't be housed together to prevent any fighting. I think it is ok for them to play together though so long as they are both girls (:
However, I know if they DO live together peacefully, then you will need two of EVERYTHING (: including wheels, igloos, etc (:
Alright that is definitely doable I was thinking of redoing her cage anyway. This is a long time off though
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Having two girls means that you can have them out together, perhaps for play time, or cuddling one while the other plays in a safe area. Having two girls doesn't increase the chance they'll get along though - it only means that you won't have to worry about keeping them completely separated to avoid babies, as you would if you got a male. For that reason, I would highly recommend against housing an older hedgie and a baby together. With females, there's a chance that they'll get along and do fine in the same cage. There's also a chance that they'll instantly show displeasure at the idea and you'll separate them immediately. Unfortunately, there's also the chance that they'll seem to be doing fine, and then have a fight when you're not around to intervene. There was a user on here who had her older female killed by her younger one. It was a very upsetting situation to read about, much less have to live through! So I'd personally play it safe and don't even try to keep them in the same cage. Let them each have their own living space and then you can try introducing them during play times.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in