Got my hedgie, couple questions - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Got my hedgie, couple questions

So I picked up my little guy on saturday morning. Hes 6 weeks. I left him alone for the most part saturday, I did handle him a little at the breeders before I took him home.

He seems to be doing fine, hes very scared obviously though. He balls up a lot and makes air hose noises. Hes been eating and drinking and wheeling.

I've taken him out once during the day to clean his cage, and once at night for all 3 days I've had him. Hes very scared but does explore a tiny bit.. last night I tried to take him out and he would have no part of it. Seems backwards to me that hes getting more scared? I dont know I tried a few times to get at him and it was a no go so I just left him alone. I'm sure its just because hes young and scared right and I should just continue trying every day? I really am worried about having a grumpy unsocializeable hedgie.
Today though I took him out and cleaned his cage and wheel. He hid in a ball and wouldnt do anything until I came up with an idea. The food the breeder was feeding him has dried mealworms in it. I know those arent good for them and i'm in the process of weaning him off that food but he LOVES these dried meal worms. Took my tweezers and held one in front of him, he popped out of his ball and ate it right up lol. Then he was fine wandering and exploring with minimal crowning and puffing. Gave him his first foot bath and it went pretty well too
Got his poop off his feet. I dried him as much as i could with a paper towel and then popped him back in his cage and he buried into his kleenex box and fleece and went to sleep.

Questions:

She was keeping him at 72 degrees and warned me not to keep him higher then that or i'd over heat him.. its a very warm march here and its 20+ degrees outside. His cage is from 74-77 degrees throughout the days. He seems perfectly fine but I just thought i'd mention that.. I have a che on his cage but obviously it hasnt been on once since I got him.

I'm trying to wean him off the food she had him on.. friskies cat food and some other crap cat food and a lot of dried meal worms and krill? I dunno. He LOVES it. Problem is, hes digging through the food I got him (chicken soup for the cat lovers soul light) and eating the crap.. should I just keep trying and eventually he'll eat it? He also loves hard boiled egg, and i'm going to get him some live meal worms today to help with bonding.

I think thats the only questions I have right now. Am I doing the bonding thing right? Should I be actually holding and handling him more than just letting him run around? Hes a squirmer.

Sorry this is so long, thanks for any responses.

Heres a picture as a reward lol. First foot bath.

pink-ster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Got my hedgie, couple questions

i would say keep taking him out and let him explore if he wants , i wouldnt force him to sit with you it might scare him more.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

ok will do.

One more quick question for anyone who can answer, for the live mealworms, they are in the fridge, so hibernating.. should I wait till they come out of hibernation and move around and stuff? Or is it ok to feed them as soon as i take them out of the fridge when they arent moving?

pink-ster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

They warm up pretty quickly. It's fine to try to feed them to him as soon as you take them out, but he might be more interested in them once they get more wiggly. It only takes a few minutes of having the container out of the fridge for them to become active, so it's not like you'd have to wait very long anyway.

Try putting the old crap food and some of the CS light together in a container so the CS light can take on the smell of the other stuff - that should help. Also consider if maybe a difference in the shape/size of them might be contributing to his preference for the old stuff.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in