No wheel till 12 weeks? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default No wheel till 12 weeks?

I just came across some people saying hedgies arnt supposed to have wheels until they are 12 weeks old?

is this true and if so why ?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: No wheel till 12 weeks?

In the UK they believe the hedgehogs bones and stuff need time to mature.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

so is this true? to me that doesnt make sense because in general using/ having muscles is better for bone growth?

Old 03-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think in the UK, it's a preventative thing. A babies bones are going to be soft and pliable (much like a human babies) and without a wheel their is a lowered chance of breaks and/ or deformities. That being said, I agree with the stronger muscles= stronger bones mantra. Unless your hedgie has an inappropriate wheel, they should fine- IMO. An added thing, too, I would imagine a bored hedgie (no wheel) would be more prone to climbing and falling (if their cage allowed it).

Brillo had his wheel from the day I brought him him (8 weeks) and has yet to injure himself.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I can see both sides of the issue. I've got a 12 week old that won't even use her wheel! I don't know if the wheel is too big for her to climb on to, or what the deal is. Thinking of getting her a CSW if she doesn't start using her current one soon.
Curlygurl1190 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

What's funny is .. softer/more pliable bones are actually less likely to break, because they're more flexible and it takes more for them to reach 'breaking point'. So the logic doesn't make any sense.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah if you have a good wheel then i dont see the problem. I was curious because ive never heard it before.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Breeders

I always give my hoglets a wheel soon as they are done weaning from their mother.

This is posted on a Sticky on the UK pygmy forum;

Wheels
"This is an ESSENTIAL item for your hedgie they are very active and can run up to 5 miles per night. It is however recommended by some that hoglets are not given wheels until approx 12 weeks old to ensure that their bones and ligaments are strong enough to cope with the physical strain. This is not entirely set in stone as hedgies do differ and a robust hoglet could benefit for a wheel a week or so earlier similarly a smaller hoglet or one that may have had issues at some point may benefit from having a slightly longer period or limited wheel access."

Things are different the world over.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

They're not necessarily going to use the wheels much when they're young, but yeah. Until someone can point to wheels before 12 weeks doing damage, I don't buy it.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is one of those 'conflicting suggestion' situations where all an owner can do is make their best guess. I don't like that at all, of course (especially after reading about some 'possible' Neosporin tragedies), but at some point 'best guess' is the best course. When research is unclear, that is all that is left.

I picked up Sophie on her six week birthday. She ran 2 1/2 hours the first night and is averaging a little under 2 hours every night. With all of that energy to burn off, I suspect that not providing the wheel could cause greater harm. (The Carolina wheel isn't 'trued' (there's a wobble), but turns so so smoothly.) In a day, she's getting about 20 hours of very peaceful rest and recovery so not real worried about her.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in