New hedgie mom: am I on the right track? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 02:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgie mom: am I on the right track?

Hi everyone. I'm so excited to find this forum. I use a similar one for my bearded dragon, and it's been a great resource and fun too!

We recently adopted a hedgehog who's probably three or so. The family that had her couldn't take care of her any longer. This was sort of an impulse because she needed somewhere to go. We're pretty used to heating/lighting and other special requirements after having several types of lizards.

She's in a tub enclosure with an igloo, wheel, water bottle, food, and one of the fluffy types of bedding. I think she was getting cold. So here's my plan so far:

1. I'm getting rid of that bedding and replacing with fleece. I know I'll need several to swap out for cleanings when spot cleaning isn't enough.
2. I'll try her on a water dish (once I have the fleece liner) to see if she'll drink from it so I can get rid of the water bottle.
3. She uses her wheel, but it's loud, so I'm going to try to find a quieter one.
4. We've set a light on a timer for 12 hours/day.
5. We've clamped a CHE over the top of her house which seems to be warming things up more. The entire enclosure isn't all one temp though. She's seeming perkier and hanging out under the CHE. We have a thermometer in there too, but it's tricky to tell depending on where she is.
6. Her ears have a lot of crusty stuff and long fingers, but after reading the descriptions, I'll try some oils or lanolin cream to see if that helps first. I have no qualms about calling the vet to rule out mites or a fungal issue.
7. Her nails were very long (the previous family didn't know to cut them). She's let me cut a few, but it's a gradual process. The nails on one paw are curled, and I couldn't tell if they were into her paw or not because of the dried poop. I gave her a foot bath today (first time) and got her feet nice and clean. I was able to determine that the nails are NOT into her flesh which is good. She was a bit peeved about the bath (although she did very well) and didn't want me messing with her feet too much. I'm getting some better clippers tomorrow so I can get those nails. If not, I'll have the vet do it.
8. She huffs and goes into a ball whenever I go near her, but when I scoop her up, she unfolds and explores right away. She walks all over me. I think that's a good sign. We're still getting to know each other, and I don't want to push her. I want to get a blanket or snuggle sack so we can have more together time.
9. I have to get her new food. The one she's on has too high percentile for protein and for fat. I'm still not sure which one after everything I've read. I'll see how she does with transitioning.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track? Thanks!

Hmm, I have to learn how to upload an image and add a signature at some point. I'll poke around for instructions.
claychick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgie mom: am I on the right track?

Let's see if I can get a picture to upload. Here's Maya:
Old 03-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awwww she is adorable. Sounds like you are doing great!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

She's adorable!! All of your planned changes sound great, sounds like she's already doing much better with you. A couple of suggestions/tips -

3. For a wheel, the best you can buy is a Carolina Storm Wheel or Bucket Wheel. The maker, LarryT, is a member of the forums here and a great guy. Shipping is fast, the wheel is silent, and very easy to clean! You can find both kind of wheels here - http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/t ... wheel.html

5. You'll want to make sure the temperature is somewhere between 73-80 degrees. Most people aim for around 75 until they see if their hog needs it warmer or prefers it cooler, but 75 seems to work for most. You'll want to try and keep it steady as well, since fluctuations in the temperature can cause hibernation attempts, especially sudden drops. Best way to do that is to use a thermostat with the CHE.

9. Some of the popular cat food brands on here are Solid Gold, Chicken Soup, Natural Balance, Innova, and Blue Buffalo. Also, you may want to make a mix of at least two different cat foods for her, and switch her onto them one at a time. Hedgehogs are notoriously picky (most of them), and it's good insurance to have two foods they're used to so if a formula changes without notice, or you can't get a hold of one food for some reason, you still have one that they'll eat and don't have to worry about syringe-feeding.

Also, welcome to HHC!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

OH, congratulations! She's beautiful. <3 I agree with Lilysmommy, other than that, it sounds like you have a good handle on things. Welcome!

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

You little one is gorgeous love, andI think she knows it LOL!!

Hugs

JO xx
joloveshedgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks! We think she's pretty cute too. She seems like such a sweetie.

Ok, here's an update.

Food - I'm going to try getting Innova (either reduced fat cat or senior cat) and Blue Buffalo Spa select lite since those are available at the store. I'll try transitioning to see how it goes.

Wheel - Yes, I was going to order one of Larry's. It's on today's to do list.

Heat/Light - I think our set up might be working. When I walk over there, it feels nice and toasty to me too! The temp on top of her igloo not directly under the CHE is 77. Under the CHE at the bottom of the cage seems to be 75. The CHE doesn't get the whole enclosure, but it does seem to radiate heat for about 75% of it except for the corners behind the wheel and igloo. The light is on a timer which is all set.

Activity - Last night, I took her out so she could check out the new warmer spot. She hung out there for a while, checked things out, ate some food, and ran in here wheel for a long time. There are poops this morning too. I think she liked it!

Thank you all so much for the great posts and FAQs on here as well as for the feedback. We want to do this right now that we have our little sweetie! I hope she lets me near her ears and the really long nails. They're so long that it might take a few passes. I'm hoping the quick recedes like in other animals so I can gradually cut them shorter.

Here's a some post-bath picture.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

"Oh I have got my hair wet" LOL!!

Hugs

JO xx
joloveshedgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in