Quilling questions? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quilling questions?

Hi all!

My boyfriend and I got a hedgie about a week ago and I noticed that he's losing a lot of quills so I wanted to make sure that it's just part of the quilling process and not anything abnormal. He does scratch himself pretty often, and the breeder used shavings for bedding so I thought he could possibly have mites but besides the quill lose and scratching there weren't really any other signs of mites. As far as the possibility of quilling- we haven't had him very long but he is super friendly. I've read that quilling can cause grumpiness but other than when we wake him up he's perfectly happy.

Here's a picture of Dexter (hopefully you can see some of the bald spots):
http://tinypic.com/r/2cy447o/5

and here's a picture of all of the quills I got out of his cage this morning:
http://tinypic.com/r/uah07/5

These quills have possibly been there since we first brought him home, and although I have been spot cleaning his liner, I did not even notice them until this morning when I was cleaning his cage.

(Sorry about not posting the images directly into this post, this is my first post and couldn't figure out how to get the dimensions right! )
jmischle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Quilling questions?

The loose quills all seem to have balls on the end, meaning they fell out naturally, so that's a sign it might now be mites.

How old is he? Hedgies go through several quillings in the first few months, so my guess is it's one of those. Most hedgies get grumpy during quilling, but that doesn't mean all of them will. Like anything, different individuals can react differently to the same thing.

That said, I have no personal experience with mites, I only know what I've read on here. If someone more experienced says differently, listen to them.
sublunary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sometimes their skin will get dry when they are quilling. You can put some drops of vitamin e oil on the skin and see if that stops the itching. I have noticed that some of them seem to lose a lot of quills, while others you hardly notice. If it is mites, it is not an extremely expenisve fix...but definately not fun either

Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just noticed I mixed up the picture, oops.

He will be 7 weeks old on the 17th of this month. Should have posted that in the beginning, sorry1!

And I read here: https://hedgehogcentral.com/mites.shtml that the ball MISSING on the tip in a sign of mites, and I keep reading conflicting info so I'm not sure what it is
jmischle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yea, that's right. I thought I typed "that's a sign it might NOT be mites". Proof reading fail. Sorry.
sublunary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't have any experience. Nancy, who has so much experience, always says the ball on the end does not rule out mites. Maybe she will be along to take a look at the picture. I'm sure you love the way I just keep offering your name around here Nancy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

As the author of that article, I can tell you it is old, and is based off of information that at the time was considered accurate. The article was originally published on my website (mihog.org) and copied here. It has several outdated items in it, for example, the treatment information in the article. We have learned so much and old articles have quickly become outdated. Sadly, I don't have access here to update it.

Once upon a time, it was believed that the ball meant a lot. However, that was bout 12 years ago. We have had a lot more experience since then and time has told us that it isn't always true and is not something we should use an an indicator anymore.

ETA: Bryan updated the article .

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in