just a few questions! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default just a few questions!

hey all!!

I've never kept a APH before, but am seriously considering getting one as I'll be moving out on my own soon, and a dog or cat is not suitable due to my circumstances, so for something a little more unusual and different, I thought an APH would be perfect!

I've always ALWAYS wanted one, but never had the right circumstances, but now I do, I'm hoping to get one!!

But first, I just have a few questions about them and hope someone can help

are they nocturnal or up during the day or a bit of both?
do they bite?
whats better to have first.. male or female?
do u line the either cage with bedding, or just in particular places?
and with bedding/floor material, do you put different things in different places, or the same all round?

urr.. i think thats it for now lol!

cheers

Danni x
sky_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo
Default Re: just a few questions!

1. Nocturnal. Some will get up for a nibble in the middle of the day, but thats few and far between.
2. They can if you don't wash your hands or if they think you may be tasty.
3. Doesn't matter. They are the same, personality wise.
4. Fleece liners are the best. Other bedding choices all have problems.
5. Same. Hedgehogs don't have the best sight, and they also don't like change. It's best if it's in the same spot.

I'm glad to see that you've come to this forum before you purchased one. Make sure you read up on all the information you can. Stay away from Youtube videos for education... most of them are flat out wrong and dangerous.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

so would u use fleece liners throughout the cage?or just in the bedding area, and leave the rest bare?

and yeah i wana do as much research as possible to make sure i do it right.. i dont want to jump into something then find i cant look after it or that im doing it wrong.. and dont worry.. i dont use youtube for research lol!! recommended breeder and other websites, is where i go!

ive got to wait until the 18th april at least to actually get one anyway cuz thats when i move out into my own place so got planty of time to get it all sorted

would u suggest using an hand sanitiser before and after handling.. or just washing hands with normal soap?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

You will line the entire cage with a liner. I use smaller liners under my wheels to collect any urine/feces that falls off of the wheel, but the entire cage is covered. Take a look in the housing section, there is a very long thread there on cage examples, you'll see lots of different layouts and how we line their cages.

Use an unscented soap to wash your hands. Hand sanitizer tends to be a bit strong smelling and can be rather offensive to some hedgehogs. If you use hand sanitizer you may want to rinse your hands thoroughly before attempting to pick up a hedgehog.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

I use Dove unscented bar soap.
Line the whole bottom.
The also need a heat source (ceramic heat emitter), a light source that will be on for 12 hours a day, a PROPER wheel (Comfort Wheel from a store, CSW from Larry online)...

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

yeah ive just had a good look thru the first few pages of the cage examples and have been writing a list of things i need to get based on what i can see in the photos lol!!

ill make sure that i get a thermometer, and a heat lamp with thermostat to keep the temperature perfect.. ive got one hooked up to my crested geckos anyway and they dont really need it lol!!

im getting all excited about getting one, but dont know when i can yet as not many people in my area have them and id have to travel about 3.5 hours there to get one then 3.5 hours back!!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Be certain to spend a good deal of time researching their personalities and what to expect. You'll find many stories of social hedgehogs, but do keep in mind that not all are super friendly and like to cuddle. Hedgehogs can be very defensive, and do require daily interaction in order to be social, and lead happy lives.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

yeah thats what im doing at the moment.. id be looking at the 18th april onwards to actually get one home, so ive got plenty of time to keep researching and gettings bits and bobs ready and set up before i actually get one.

and im all gravy with daily handling lol!! s/he'll keep me company when im lonely, so ill make sure it's handled daily and given all the love in the world.. regardless of it loving me back or not lol!!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Hillybean

Yep,
I own two hedgies and they are month apart in age and from different breeders. My girl Flower is a total love and an awesome hedgie. My second and newest is good to, but not yet as friendly as Flower.

Hand Sanitizer: My girl Flower likes/hates (not sure which) the smell. I had to stop using it because she would lick it off my hands and then bite. It's been difficult to stop using, as I use it all the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in