A few questions
I'm new and I'll most likely pick up my hedgie somewhere along next week, and before I do that I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with :)
1. I've read that it's best to take the hedgie out and let him sleep on your lap/stomach while reading, watching TV etc. for bonding. Do I take him out during the day and thus wake him? Or do I wait until he's awake and then take him out and let him sleep on me? But does he even sleep then? (I mean, he just woke up..)
2. I've also read that they need about 12 to 14 hours of light. Do I need to keep a lamp near them or does daylight and normal room light suffice?
3. How necessary is a wheel really? I'd much rather let him roam around my room all evening than letting him run in a wheel. But of course I'll get one if it's really vital.
4. Thoughts on dried insects?
Thanks in advance! :D
Re: A few questions
Hey there! :)
1. You can do either, really. Most people prefer taking them out in the evening, when it's closer to their natural awake time. Cuddly hedgie might still sleep on you anyway, and more curious/adventurous ones may prefer to explore. Usually you end up waking them up for bonding time, depending on what their personal sleep/wake schedule is. Babies sleep a LOT, so you'll probably have to wake him up. During the day is fine to get them out if you want, you just want to make sure you're letting them sleep and not disturbing them for too long. They may also be grumpier when you wake them up initially.
2. You'll want to keep a lamp on near them to make sure they're getting the full 12-14 hours. The amount of daylight changes with the seasons, and sometimes it can be dark on stormy days and affect the amount of light.
3. You really need a wheel. They're active during the night, and just having them out in the evening isn't going to fulfill their exercise requirement and keep them busy during the night when you're sleeping. If you get one from the store, make sure it's a Comfort Wheel, the largest size (12"). That's really the only safe store-bought wheel. The best wheel you can buy is a Carolina Storm Wheel from LarryT. You can find those and his bucket wheels here - http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/t ... wheel.html They're completely safe, quiet, and VERY easy to clean. Comfort wheels are safe, but they're a bit noisy, and they're a pain to clean with the ridges.
4. Not preferable. They can cause impactions, and live is healthier and safer. Mealworms are very easy to keep live, you can buy a container, keep it in the fridge, and just take it out once a week to let them warm up and eat. They can last for weeks-months this way.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.